6 posts in this topic

So after catchin a pair of rock last night, i decided to try the morning tide. Dead calm, no water movement at dawn. Tide started rolling around 830 and so did the fish. Watched a 40+ inch rockfish drag one of my surf rods into the river which i allowed my friend adam to borrow for the morning. as the rod was literally disappearing into the water, adam ran and leaped in after it, saving it from about three feet of water as it was being dragged towards Tangier sound. luckily it was calm and the water was clear so we were able to see it being dragged across the bottom. i believe from now on he will probably be making sure the sand spike is in the ground a little deeper. anyway, the story ends with the fish breaking the line right at the beach (after numerous coachings of "dont horse him!"). easy 40 incher, most likely bigger but i guess ill never know.

my baitrunner 3500 sounded off about five minutes afterwards and i pulled in a little 34 incher. really fat fish, weighed 17 pounds...full of white perch and eggs. no other bites the rest of the morning. the fish are beginning to finish up spawning activity and are gaining interest in the baitfish. lots of small alewives around ("bunker" to y'all), which i imagine are getting pretty nervous with the big rock finishing their spawn. added a few pics from last week too.

copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_copy_of_4_25_06_

amy_572.jpg.652c12cf0502711a7af8f6b3507d

copy_of_img_1097_998.jpg.afebf9c8e4fc3a2

Great story and beautiful fish! So, where are these big boys headed when they leave the river? Hopefully, out to sea and past Assateague and Ocean City? Thanks SurfBass.

PS. I heard a friend of mine came in to see ya the other day to buy a rod and reel? I believe it was Sat or Sunday. Really tall guy and his short wife looking for a surf rod and reel. I think you sold them a Daiwa rod and a bait-runner? One of my high school buddies. :-)

Thanks for the help. :v:

Nice fish....glad someone can get out there on a regular basis and pull them in.

early on some of my fish had sea lice. that means they were in the ocean so i think we can theorize these fish are from up north and their spawning run brings them to the waters of Tangier sound, with some making the run as far as the susquehanna flats. after there done, most retreat to lower portions of the bay (bridge tunnel area) where they can be caught all summer and fall long, with the most dedicated migrators returning to the ocean to head north, passing right by the boys fishin the suds...i truly believe that the sea run rock are the healthiest rockfish on the coast and probably the best eating as well (meat isnt effected by the oh-so-clean river/bay water their entire lives)...a lot of those springtime surf rock are probably spawning in the coastal bays as well

i think i sold that surf rod to your buddy's wife--birthday present? beautiful combo, promised her that he would love her for it!

i think i sold that surf rod to your buddy's wife--birthday present? beautiful combo, promised her that he would love her for it!

Yep, you got it! Thanks again.