1 post in this topic

Fishing Report from Spotted Tail <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:date Year="2009" Day="2" Month="2">2/2/09</st1:date>

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Again, we didn’t do a lot of fishing last week. The weather has not been conducive to flats fishing, nor is it supposed to be for most this week.

<o:p> </o:p>

Tuesday I went to the <st1:place>St. Johns River</st1:place>, hoping for a shad or two. The wind was honkin’ along and it was supposed to rain. I waded out to the bar just upstream of the SR 46 bridge and fished for a couple of hours. I could see fish breaking but in spite of changing flies every ten minutes I did not get a bite. I left just before the rain started. It rained for two days.

<o:p> </o:p>

Saturday morning I went to a board meeting of Anglers for Conservation. These folks sponsor the Hook Kids on Fishing events and are doing wonderful things in <st1:State><st1:place>Florida</st1:place></st1:State>. Expect to hear more from them.

After the meeting I drove up to River Breeze. I set up my tent and watched the stars wheel for a couple of hours. It’s been way too long since I watched night fall. This time of year my favorite stars are out in the early evening- Rigel and Aldebaran, Sirius and Procyon, Castor and Pollux, the Pleides. Seven or eight satellites streaked through the heavens, too. We sure have a lot of stuff flying around up there.

When the dew fall started to get my sleeping bag wet I pulled into the tent. Before I left home a minor search for my sleeping bag liner occurred. That search was unsuccessful. I wish I had located it, because I was right on the edge of freezing my buns off almost all night. It got cold, down into the 30s.

I got up at first light and put the kayak in the water. After paddling a while in the quiet (Sunday morning, too!) I found a school of redfish. Like clockwork, three motor skiffs showed up. Using a crab pattern I got three fish, then left them to the skiff guys. In the meantime two more skiffs showed up, so they certainly had me surrounded! I didn’t get another shot, and didn’t get back to River Breeze until <st1:time Minute="0" Hour="14">2 PM</st1:time>. The water is still very low, and many of my favorite kayak fishing areas up there are almost dry.

There was a fish kill in one of my favorite ponds last week during that freezing weather. I found eight or ten decomposing seatrout in the five to eight pound class. Although that was sad, altogether it was a lovely weekend. I was home in time to watch the ballgame.

<o:p> </o:p>

Life is short- GO FISHING!!!

<o:p> </o:p>

Life is great and I love my work!

<o:p> </o:p>

If you have any questions or comments, or if you'd like to go fishing, please feel free to email me at spottedtail@spottedtail.com, or call at 407 977 5207.

<o:p> </o:p>

John Kumiski

member, Indian River Guides Association,

<st1:State><st1:place>Florida</st1:place></st1:State> Outdoor Writers Association

<o:p> </o:p>

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0