9 posts in this topic

As is often the case in today’s world fact can be stranger than fiction and this week a fisherman from the Baltimore area caught a fish in the Patapsco River that has a lot of fishermen and biologists scratching their heads. William Gabler was fishing in the lower Patapsco River near the Patapsco Avenue Bridge in Brooklyn, when he thought he hooked a whopper of a catfish. When he got it to shore he wasn’t sure what he had so he took it to Clarks Sporting Goods to see if Don Clark had any ideas. Well, DNR was called and Harley Speir and Nancy Butowski from the Fisheries Service went to investigate and here’s the rest of the story. It was a 33” spiny dogfish that is usually found out in the ocean, this fish was way off course.

hahaha... they are taking over the world!

LOL, Crazyness.....where are they all coming from...and to think I read somewhere that these are an endangered species???? I could be wrong though...I'll have to look and see where I read that.

well knowing that area like I do, Im not surprised at that but given the amount of pollutants in the Patapsco, I'd think it was some sort of mutant catfish or something along those lines, that area is so toxic. :roll:

wow, now wtf :?: is this a product of global-warming or is the world just turning upside-down :?::!::?:

......and this leads me into another question. now don't laugh as I've thought this out but Im NO Marine Biologist. what if; you caught some fish out off shore like small Tuna & Dolphin, kept them alive in a livewell and brought them inshore and released them around the OC jetty, would they hang around for awhile then migrate south when the waters cool. then the following year, would/could they migrate back into OC :?: and IF someone did this, would it be against any laws :?:

just thinking out-side the box....and NO, im not smokin' crack 8)

well there are reports of tuna being caught from the shore, they are rare, but it happens.

i have seen dolphins, the mammals, inside the inlet.

as long as the food is there i dont see why the wouldnt hang around, other than just lack of places to swim too

right, thats what I was thinking, as long as there is a food source and the water temps are above, say 65*.

when that 60+ lb Cobia was caught last year up around the "parking-lot" behind 28th st, well that got me thinking about introducing other species of fish to OC, but is that legal? and I know Tarpon have been caught as close as VA Beach in the past and I believe the MD state record for False Albacore or Bonito was caught in the surf @AI a few years back, so maybe its posible :?:

sorry to "jack" this thread :roll:

Hmmm, now where did I put that pipe :oops: