14 posts in this topic

I am pretty crazy about line changing, until now most of my fishing has been freshwater. I change my line at LEAST twice a year. Now that I have enought surf setups I wonder how often surf line should be changed.

Also with the surf reels taking so much line do you guys replace it all? On my freshwater reels I usually spool 1/3 to 1/2 with cheap line and use a uni to uni to top off with the good stuff. All flourocarbon for me! :) Is there a reason I can't do this with my surf reels?

I respool before every season. I usually load with 20# Mono, no backing. I will use a 40# shock leader if I know I'm going to be in big surf and throwing heavy weights.

For surf fishing, I re-spool my line about every 5 trips. I have started testing my line at the beginning of every trip and the 30lb shock leader almost always snaps. The sand is very abrasive and you can get nicks anywhere in the line. Plus, I throw all conventional, so when a mishap occurs, it can really screw up my line, even if I get the birds nest undone. Just my $.02.

I probably change all the line every month and sometimes sooner on all my reels, just depends on how much I fish,,,probably a little much but it just makes me feel better that I have fresh line on the reel,,,fresh lines & fresh knots,,,on that note, I am going to change my line tonight :D .

as far as using inexpensive line for the first half, I wouldnt do it just because my reel only holds 250 yds of line.

as far as using inexpensive line for the first half, I wouldnt do it just because my reel only holds 250 yds of line.

Yeah, you get a 45# striper or a big drum on your line, you don't want cheap stuff or ANY knots in you line. :-)

Yeah, you get a 45# striper or a big drum on your line, you don't want cheap stuff or ANY knots in you line. :-)

hey Sam, speaking of knots. how did that double uni work-out on sunday in place of the bloodknot, did it hold-up for you?

Randy - interesting you mention that - I use a blood knot when tying tippet in fly fishing, but I switched to a double uni knot for the surf fishing (seemed easier tie with that sized line. I really like the double uni knot - seems more of a foolproof knot than the blood. :up:

Randy - interesting you mention that - I use a blood knot when tying tippet in fly fishing, but I switched to a double uni knot for the surf fishing (seemed easier tie with that sized line. I really like the double uni knot - seems more of a foolproof knot than the blood. :up:

yup, I agree. much easier to tie and it's good for lines of 2 different sizes where the bloodknot is not, unless you double over the smaller of the 2 lines being joined. I also use the "uni" on lures, as it makes a loop which gives your lure a tad more action, when the fish hits the loop slides down on the eye, then you can just slide the knot back and you still retain the loop. one more for the "uni" is,I use it to "snell" my hooks, much faster than the original snelling. now don't get me wrong, the "uni" is not the only Knot I use 8)

good point about the change in diameter - the fly tippet is always either the same diameter or slightly smaller (ie 5x down to 6x). The shock leader would be much more dramatic - 17lb to 40lb.

Randy, I suppose the knot was working great. I got a birds nest soon after and threw away the whole ordeal. I can see how it could be useful. The only thing is, the knot seems a little large and when tossing it, I hope it doesn't get snagged up in the end eye.

Anyone ever try the tapered shock leaders? You can tie down at 17 or 20lb (keep a nice small knot) and it tapers up to 40, 60, or whatever strenght you need..... Sounded like a good idea until you cut or break the line too much - you'd end up having to replace the leader once you hit the tapered section...again, and I assume it'd be more expensive....

All knots reduce breaking strength. If I'm using mono I use no backing and filler' up until it's time for the shock leader then I use 50 lb. test with an albright knot. Sometimes my knots fail because I am in a hurry to tie them. A friend of mine uses tapered leaders and he says they are great but I have never used them.

Thanks for the info! :D Last year I changed my line once. But this year I plan on doing more fishing. :shock: So I will need to change it more often.