4 posts in this topic

I am new to the board here and I have been reading alot about what are the right conditions. I wanted to share some intersting conditions I learned that makes fishing a little better from the surf. These are my opinions and opinions may vary.

I have caught big Drum and Stripers on a W wind, but this was after an E wind for a few days. I have caught more fish and larger fish on an E wind, moreso than on a W wind.

I am not a fair weather fishermen by far. The snottier the weather, the more I like it. Don't get me wrong, I catch fish during fair weather, but do much better in rough conditions.

One thing I really wanted to share with everyone was about the barometer. All my life I fished by the barometer. A high barometer means the bite is slow in the surf. A falling or a bottomed out barometer, the bite is on. I have lived by that rule and never new why it worked so well. I am a hunter as well and during a dropping barometer, I noticed more Deer foraging and birds as well. Fish are no different.

I learned a few years ago why fishing on a dropping barometer works so well. In fish there is a swim bladder, during a high barometer the swim bladder is distended pushing on the stomache. This makes the fish not want to eat. During a dropping barometer, the swim bladder deflates and the stomche increases in size. The effect this has on the fish is a larger appetite. As I stated above, fish are animals and all animals will forage for food before a front hits and will shut off shortly after the front goes through and the barometer starts to rise again.

The next time you are out and see many deer and schools of birds foraging, check the weather conditions and look at the barometer and you will understand what I am talking about.:)

This is something that I have learned from years of fishing experience. I look forward to reading more reports of what makes you a better fishermen.

Good Info thanks for sharing! I have noted myself that I get better results with a falling barometer.

One of my notes for this year is fish the surf hard when a hurricane is coming up the coast.

Good Info thanks for sharing! I have noted myself that I get better results with a falling barometer.

One of my notes for this year is fish the surf hard when a hurricane is coming up the coast.

Don't get me wrong, there is a fine line between catching fish in rough conditions and having to call the Coast Guard for a water rescue:).

I do not fear Mother Nature, but I have alot of respect for her at the same time.:icon_tongue:

You gotta know when to holdem' and know when to foldem':icon_thumleft:

Nice analogy!

I don't fish the barometer, by the time I drive there it may have changed. :D