11 posts in this topic

I am new to the board here and I have been reading alot about what are the right conditions. I wanted to share some intersting conditions I learned that makes fishing a little better from the surf. These are my opinions and opinions may vary.

I have caught big Drum and Stripers on a W wind, but this was after an E wind for a few days. I have caught more fish and larger fish on an E wind, moreso than on a W wind.

I am not a fair weather fishermen by far. The snottier the weather, the more I like it. Don't get me wrong, I catch fish during fair weather, but do much better in rough conditions.

One thing I really wanted to share with everyone was about the barometer. All my life I fished by the barometer. A high barometer means the bite is slow in the surf. A falling or a bottomed out barometer, the bite is on. I have lived by that rule and never new why it worked so well. I am a hunter as well and during a dropping barometer, I noticed more Deer foraging and birds as well. Fish are no different.

I learned a few years ago why fishing on a dropping barometer works so well. In fish there is a swim bladder, during a high barometer the swim bladder is distended pushing on the stomache. This makes the fish not want to eat. During a dropping barometer, the swim bladder deflates and the stomche increases in size. The effect this has on the fish is a larger appetite. As I stated above, fish are animals and all animals will forage for food before a front hits and will shut off shortly after the front goes through and the barometer starts to rise again.

The next time you are out and see many deer and schools of birds foraging, check the weather conditions and look at the barometer and you will understand what I am talking about.:)

This is something that I have learned from years of fishing experience. I look forward to reading more reports of what makes you a better fishermen.

I will say that there are prime conditions, usually different in different locations and species, however, some of the best bites I have seen were in the "wrong conditions." the fish want to eat when they want to eat. some of the most successful fishermen I know fish pretty much regardless of which moon phase, tide, wind direction.

I don't know about you all, but I certainly look for "Sam's Ideal Conditions" for catching fish. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But, I do believe there are definite weather related factors which improve your chances in getting a hook up.

I don't know about you all, but I certainly look for "Sam's Ideal Conditions" for catching fish. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. But, I do believe there are definite weather related factors which improve your chances in getting a hook up.

I am not saying there are not but I just think some people take it too far. how many days in sept-oct do you all get your SE wind? how many fish good fish are caught during those days versus other days.

the best wind to fish the point (NC) in the spring is a SW. I was there for memorial day weekend a few years ago and there were over 1,000 trucks on the beach that day, many cobia fishing when the nps flew over and counted. don't remember much from the day but I remember it was blowin pretty decent out of the NE or NW at night. out of over 1,000 trucks fishing the point area, guess how many were drum fishing after dark....less than 12. I caught my first that night and lost another at my feet and then my ride was leaving so I had to leave since I didn't have a 4x4 at the time.

couple people I know caught almost 10 that night but the high number was tres who told me the next day he lost count at 12 or 14 and caught fish on like 10 casts in a row. those were the wrong conditions and it was probably the best bite of the spring. there were hundreds of rods out in the daytime for cobia but everyone left at night becasue you "don't catch cobia in the dark", and "NE is the wrong wind in the spring." that was the night I caught my first drum. what if I knew more about drum fishing at that point and said "its the wrong conditions so I wont fish tonight" I have heard and witnessed many stories similar to this but that is the best one that I have experienced.

Edited by Sam

Pier Man,

I agree different areas will produce more fish during different weather conditions. The Point in the OBX has shoals that the Reds hang around for feeding. During the SW winds there, it pushes the fish off of the shoals and closer to the beach.

Here in Delaware and Maryland we don't have structure like that, in the OBX. I wanted to share with some folks here what might work a little better in our area.

I am one of those fishermen who will fish when I can, good or bad weather. From my experience, I have done better during snotty conditions in our area. :)

I wasnt trying to talk just about the obx. I was just talking in general. I hear most people say that E wind off AI blows in the bait but I just about always see menhaden on a W wind. the only bait I have really seen on AI during an E wind that I can remember was a school of freakin 3" bluefish that got gilled in my cast net a couple years ago. none of us are really right or wrong, its just our experiences.

I hear ya on that one. This past year was one of the strangest fishing season I have ever had. Just when you think you gottem figured out, they throw you a curve.

Thats why they call it "fishing" and not catching:happy7:

when you figure out the equation, you realize the formula gets bigger. or something like that.

This past year was one of the strangest fishing season I have ever had. Just when you think you gottem figured out, they throw you a curve.

it seems like AI had one of their better drum years with most of the good catches on N-NE winds when those arent supposed to be good winds for there. we had A LOT of NE wind here on the obx which is the "best" fall drum wind and it absolutely sucked down here. thats kinda what I was talking about. I wasnt saying that conditions dont matter, just not quite as much as a lot of people make them out to. I know a lot of people who have missed out on a lot of fish because they only fish in "good" conditions. I have missed quite a few drum bites in the fall resting during the "wrong" wind.

On AI there was alot of beach erosion this year thanks to storms. During the main Drum run the beaches were closed from the 27 mile marker south. The NPS opened up the beaches as the conditions improved. I will say there was alot of drum caught a little further north on the beach this year, but I think it was due to the southern beaches being closed. As most fishermen are use to fishing south, they had no choice but to fish the northern beaches. I was one of them:icon_profileright:

Well I now from my experiences of fishing deleware beaches,asseteague Island (MD & VA), north carolina (from nags head to cape lookout) I was on one of these beaches every weekend and alot of weekdays from march08 untill now jan 09, my best days were on some kind of east wind (NE,E,SE). My next best was a southwind depending on the beach. Granted I caught some fish on westerly winds the weren't my best days.. I keep logs of every trip and thats just been my findings.

What it boils down to is I'm going to fish no matter what the wind, but for me when it blows easterly of some sort, I'M FISHING the nastier the better!! JMO