Finaddict

My 2008 Surf Fishing Season (A Look Back)

13 posts in this topic

nice video, it might take me 5 years to post a video since it took me 2 to resize and post pics. as for my 2008 season, it was piss poor. it had its highlights but I caught only 1 citation fish all year compared to 13 in 2007. I caught 0 big drum, 0 ocean stripers, spent more money than made commercial fishing mullet. I made 4 cobia trips seeing 55-60 or so (from boat), most of which were rats, maybe not even legal size. out of those 55 we caught 8 of which only 3 were keepers. we kept a 36, 25, and a barely legal. believe it or not we saw the most on a day that was extremely smokey from the wildfires and wouldnt see them until they were shooting across the bow of the boat. that day I might have seen as many as 45. out of those 45 only one looked to be bigger than 15 lbs. and he wouldnt eat. very frustrating. some of my 2008 highlights were taking my 4 yr old nephew fishing his first time and he killed them. he caught a barely legal cobia, 5 or so spanish and 2 bluefish. he will be a fishing machine. I fished in my kayak in the sound a lot which was one of the reason for my lack of ocean fish. I did very well back there, caught many fish, nothing too big but a lot of good fish, found some really nice and productive holes. think I only had 1 or 2 skunks all year back there. looking forward to 2009 since I dont think it will be near as bad as 2008. beach closures didnt help 2008 either.

I have been trying for a Cobia for 2 years now without success. I caught alot of citations this year. Most were live release. I like the part when you mentioned taking your nephew out. I have one little one, Destiny, and she too is a fishing machine.

I hope 2009 holds many big fish for you Pier man:)

herer a pic of the nephew. I had to support the rod for him since he is tiny but he did all the reeling.

4285d1219776121-inlet-8-25-inshore-repor

I have had a lot of unsuccessful cobia trips. in 07' it was my 4th trip before we even saw one. it was a monster, 90-100, the guy I was with was so shocked to see it he had to make a double take look at it. we did not catch it due to angler and guide error.

Edited by Sam

Beautiful fish. I am hoping mine will be a monster from putting in all the time, but a small one will do for now:icon_wink:

Edited by Finaddict

heres a pic my friend took that wil make you weak in the knees.

323517191.jpg.7373798f29793641b57cebf848

Edited by Sam

Nice video, great pics and liked the sound track....JH or SRV?

After the year I had.......I need to go fishing with you.

Cuda

heres a pic my friend took that wil make you weak in the knees.

[ATTACH]5094[/ATTACH]

Looks like a Manta and something else.?

Nice video, great pics and liked the sound track....JH or SRV?

After the year I had.......I need to go fishing with you.

Cuda

It was SRV:angel10:

a manta ray with a big cobia on top following him.

That cobia looks more like a...

Bengal-Tiger.jpg.541a7f564aec0ba0aa5f030

cobia are often mistaken for sharks. even a trained eye cant always tell the difference right away. one of my favorite things to hear on the pier is a tourist yelling "SHARK! SHARK!" 99% of the time its a big fat cobia looking to eat something.