Steve

National Saltwater Angler Registry - MD DNR

8 posts in this topic

Yep, we are paying 15 - 20 dollars per year for the privilege of having the feds send us a survey to fill out.

I can't believe it will cost 15 to 20 dollars for my name to be stored in a database. I hate when they lie and say this isn't a money making scheme and the costs will just cover the program....... BS....

I tried this post yesterday but screwed it up. It went something like this, Not to stir the pot to much but welcome aboard fellas! That fee is peanuts(watch out for them, there is a peanut butter recall!) compared to what I pay a year just to be credentialed to fish a variety of species (my choice of course) and carry people to fish!

It's going to cost $120 this year to fish in the AI ORV zone(and that includes me also). The database would be a help if the state has access to it and uses it. I fill out catch logs year round if I fish or not(charter/comm hook and line). Everyone (kids excluded) should keep a log and report catches(at least to the state). No one can manage any resource without info form all user groups. I don't like the big brother concept of the feds either but if this could actually help on resource tracking then why not? Come on $15-25! And that still won't cover the catches from the cheaters and poachers(who by the way don't get fined squat when caught!):director:

I tried this post yesterday but screwed it up. It went something like this, Not to stir the pot to much but welcome aboard fellas! That fee is peanuts(watch out for them, there is a peanut butter recall!) compared to what I pay a year just to be credentialed to fish a variety of species (my choice of course) and carry people to fish!

It's going to cost $120 this year to fish in the AI ORV zone(and that includes me also). The database would be a help if the state has access to it and uses it. I fill out catch logs year round if I fish or not(charter/comm hook and line). Everyone (kids excluded) should keep a log and report catches(at least to the state). No one can manage any resource without info form all user groups. I don't like the big brother concept of the feds either but if this could actually help on resource tracking then why not? Come on $15-25! And that still won't cover the catches from the cheaters and poachers(who by the way don't get fined squat when caught!):director:

You can't compare your charter service fee's and reporting requirements with recreational fishing, its just not the same thing. I haven't heard of any reporting requirements with this new fee. The only thing I heard is that its a database so the feds can contact the fishermen to send out surveys to them. If these surveys are catch reports then how much stock can you put into what those people report? how good are peoples memory? Why can't the state submit the data to the feds once you buy a fishing license from the state and make this program only for places where you don't need a license.

I just don't see any benefit coming from this new fee. If they do get reliable data from this then I will change my mind but until that time this new fee is a 100% waste of my money because I am not getting anything in return for it.

"With some exceptions, anglers who fish in Maryland tidal waters, and may catch anadromous (migratory) species, will need to be registered."

I'm fishing for Skate, Whiting, and LMB...

But it won't be on Assateague, I'm done there.

I will be the first one to admit, I don't like paying a fee to go fishing. Having said that, we don't have much of a choice at this point. With G. Bush signing the new MSA, there is to be a better statisical surveys on rec. anglers.

I am the Legislative Liaison for DMS here in De. We have instituted a state GFL and a Fishermens Id. Number (FIN) to comply with the MSA requirements. When you buy a Fed. Lic. the money goes to the General Fund (US Treasury) and local fisheries won't see a dime of this money.

There is a program with the Fed. Gov't for those states who impliment a GFL and have fed monies to match those funds generated by a local GFL. The fed. gov't gives $3 to every $1 that the local GFL brings in.

In De. we have a dedicated fund for these monies and is to be used for fisheries issues ONLY. It cannot be borrowed against or used for any other purpose. DMS has also fought to get an "advisory council" formed to watch the allocation of these funds.

With our local GFL all monies will go to local fisheries issues and not give it to the Fed. Gov't. This includes restocking of Trout Ponds, Fish ladders, Boat ramps, better fisheries studies and so on. This was a no brainer IMO.

The FIN is like a HIP number for bird hunters. It is free and it meets the MSA requirements, so we won't see a Fed. Lic. in DE.

This was an extensive and laborous process for 3 years between DMS and DNREC. We did this for the future of our fisheries and future generations of anglers.

The feds get enough from me.:angry5:

It's all well and good that the government wants to monitor the catches of migratory fish,but they could find a better way .

Charging us legal and honest fishermen for those dishonest and illegal poachers is unfair. They could at least tell the truth of their greedy plans. As far as the personal info they require that is a crock of tshi ,

that's just another way for the government to invade our personal lives. not to mention harass us ,like we all don't get enough aggravation from telamarketers. and what of the few people that obtain a liscence and dont have or cant afford a phone. what are they going to be told they are not allowed to fish in tidal waters and obtain food for their families durring hard times ,just because they have no phone.

AS IF IT DOES'NT COST ENOUGH TO GO FISHING ALREADY!

By 2010 -2011 what are we going to have to pay $100-$150 for a liscence and up to $1000 for other pemits!

pretty soon only the rich will be able go fishing.:angryfire:

PERSONALY I THINK THE COMERCIAL FISHING INDUSTRY IS TO BLAME FOR THIS .NOT ONLY DO THEY OVER HARVEST AND DEPLEAT OUR RESOURCES,BUT THEY WOULD BE THE ONLY ONES TO TRUELY BENIFIT FROM THIS!!! THE LOWER UND MIDDLE CLASS

PEOPLE OF THIS STATE/COUNTRY WHO EAT THEIR CATCH OR FISH FOR FOOD WOULD BE FORCED TO BUY THEIR FISH FROM THE STORES BECAUSE THEY WOULD'NT BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO ENJOY

THIS SPORT OR THE BENEFITS OF IT!!!!!!!!!:angryfire:

I saved some money,I usually get a boat license for two boats from md.dnr that would cost $70 each or $140.We purchased the boat license's from the patomac river fisheries commission at$30 each or $60.Used that savings toward my Delaware boat license and ramp fee $75for the license and $35 for the ramp fee.The PRFC license let's you fish Chesapeake bay MD.&VA. Add to that my Md.state park pass so i can use Sandy point's beautiful boatramp facility $75. That's $245 before you hit the fuel dock,or the tackle store.The ramps are great and well worth the money,and 30 minutes from my house.That's a $80 savings.Only difference is you cant crab with it.Gotta pay again to crab.