6 posts in this topic

Just read in the "Dispatch" today (Jan 9,2009 issue pg 12A) were some commercial fishermen were apprehended for having 3 tons of illegally harvested rockfish. The main guy is a seafood dealer from the Cambridge area (Secretary) and all the crew was from (East New Market Md.). Now for the WTF. Without fully recapping the article they are facing fines ranging from $227.5,$250 to $500! That's a joke! Until you get to the $500 fine that does not even equal what I pay yearly to the state of Md. for licenses and permits! Not to mention Federal permits! the main guy was getting his second offense in 5 days! I carry a commercial hook and line license along with a guides license and still think that commercial fishermen have a place in any fishery but actions like this help NO ONE! And wimpy fines like that are not much of a deterrant!Gotta call DNR Mon. about this one!:cussing::BangHead::angryfire:

Yeah, saw that!

Don't think a $500 will scare them away from doing it again! What a joke............:disgust::icon_puke_l:

Yeah, there is definitely something wrong there... :icon_thumbdown:

do like MI. take the boat, car that got them to the boat and $$$ per pound. that would work.

Yep, that is what I said in the linked post.

MD DNR used to do that in the 80's during the Striper ban.

It was a grand per fish, if in a boat, they take that and your gear, if you trailered, they take that too. If your trailer is hooked up to your towing vehicle (99.9% of the time it was), that goes too.

Did the big confiscations hold up in court?

Dunn'o, I didn't go to watch.

it holds up in MI. knew a guy that got checked at 7am that had a 12 of beer on the boat. when he got back after a day of fishing he had his limit, no beer(he did have the cans). the DNR waited until he loaded and was ready to leave. then they got him for 2 DWI charges and took it all. poachers get charged by the pound. can you picture this here on a head boat. i worked head boats when younger and the amount that people drink was crazy. I DRINK AT HOME or at a party or at the drop of a hat, etc. NOT WHILE FISHING. if the cops want to get some drunks off the road, wait until the head boats come back in.:angel9: