Guest igormothra

Delaware Fishing License - FIN Registration?

25 posts in this topic

I thought it sounded a little hoakey so I called De fish and Wildlife and its for real.... I call BULL... isn't this why we have licenses????

It does look a little strange to me too...:dontknow: Looking into it.

Oh its for real.... It is a federal thing, and it is going to be required by everyone soon.

I picked up my license the other day and there is a spot on there for you to write in your FIN.

Just like a PIN number for hunting migratory birds. Hopefully this will lead to a better picture of who is harvesting what % of the fish.

I got a Delaware boat license and did the 800 # for the fin.I was under the impression that F I N was a federal I D That is going into effect,and federal would cover all states,would it not? Del. is just trying to get ahead of the game,and it is free of charge,I think there may be a fee in 2010????

That $25 dollar fee really irks me to no END! Thats more expensive than most tidal fishing licensees. $25 bucks for the privilege of having your name put into a useless database.

I got my SurfTag from Lums Pond S.P. They didnt go over the need for a Fin License, but my bro in law picked up his surftag at Old Inlet Bait and Tackle and they explained that they were necessary. They also said that Delaware was the only state to actually comply with Fin Registration on the eastern seaboard, thus they would not have fee's for the Fin Regs in the future, i'm not sure if thats 100% correct though.

DMS fought hard for the FIN. The FIN is free and I hope it stays that way in Delaware.

DMS fought hard for the FIN. The FIN is free and I hope it stays that way in Delaware.

I hope you are right about that. I have a feeling though that it won't be free for long.

I hope you are right about that. I have a feeling though that it won't be free for long.

I hope I am right as well. Delaware was the first state in enact a "local GFL" with a FIN. Other states that do not will have a Fed Lic. and will not need a FIN as they are already counted under the MSA regulations and requirements.

A "local GFL" has exemptions in them and does not comply with the MSA. A FIN makes those states with a "local GFL" compliant to the MSA.

This all has to do with rec. fishing stats for NOAA through the MSA. The previous rec. fishing survey was not efficent enough.

I think Delaware was the first to implement the FIN, but next year probably all stated will be doing it. I believe it is a Federal thing anyway. Juat another way for "BIG BROTHER" to keep tabs on us!!

Hulk

Im not sure why we'd get up in arms about a FIN number. If my understanding is correct, its to poll and see who is catching what...which can only benefit us. Unless somebody out there recreationally fishing is catching and keeping a few hundred fish a day. Most of us here keep a few...and let the rest go. Do we, as anglers, want to be against everything and anything...and seem like meatheads who wont get the respect of the regulatory officials? gotta work with them and take care of what we use...and that means going by the regulations....

Just my .02

I dont want to come off as mean or arrogant on that last post....and am not attacking any of you personally......please keep that in mind. Were all on the same team.

Heres a question, Bought and out of state license for DE and got my fin number. Now does this Fin number apply for all states, or do I need to get another one for Maryland. Guys at the bait shop had now clue. Id rather go outlaw then pay for a dam fin number in each state I fish in.

I think Delaware was the first to implement the FIN, but next year probably all stated will be doing it. I believe it is a Federal thing anyway. Juat another way for "BIG BROTHER" to keep tabs on us!!

Hulk

You got it! It is federally mandated

so far, nobody I know has been asked about catches either

and why a new one every year?:icon_scratch:

you need a seperate fin number for each state you are licensed in. I have one for DE and one for MD. they are free numbers....google it and you can get one.

Weird, because the link I posted just asks you which states you plan to fish this year in.....

Everyone i talked to says the FIN covers you for all states. I got mine through Delaware so i'm assuming i can use it in Maryland too. If its something federal it should only need to be filed through one state and the number should cover you no matter where your fishing. And from my understanding it seems like all their doing is trying to survey where you fish and what your fishing for. But at this point it all seems a little sketchy to me and they definitely don't have their crap together. They need to write an article up and explain it all in detail so that everyones on the same page and doesn't have to question anything. Anyone with a helpful article feel free to post it.

I too found it a little confusing this year. Last year I got my FIN through a Del. site. This year I just went to the NOAA site which asked the state(s) one will be fishing in. I gathered that if one selects more then one state, that the given number is applicable to all states checked. I dunno??

Would seem odd that if/when they start to charge for these things that you'd have to pay for one in every state that you fish in. Then again it is the Fed that we are talking about so it wouldn't surprise me.

I work with a guy who was checked the other dayfor his FIN, which he had. He told me another angler out there was asked and didn't have one. The CO let him go but made it clear that he needed to have one. So I have no doubt we will be getting checked for these things.

As others have said, I do hope to see more good come from this then bad.

DMS #525

AMSA #1102

OBPA

Well i kind of answered my own question with finding an article. Heres an attached link from the NOAA website for frequently asked questions.

https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/faq_registry.html#2

I believe if you look at question number 21 it explains that once your registered with one state your on record with their registry and don't need to register with other states. They could of written it a little easier to understand, but from what i'm getting if your registered with one you only need that one number and your covered to fish anywhere in the country. Anyone who reads it any different let me know.

I have a bad feeling that this is a way for our glorious government to sneak in a Federal Fishing License