1 post in this topic

<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>On 12/15, 12/20 and 12/22/08, I fished the backwaters--that report is posted on the inshore forum.</o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

With a small craft advisory in effect through Tuesday morning,12/23, I called my Tuesday anglers Monday night to let them know it would be rough offshore. But this hardy group of six from IL weren’t about to give up on their fishing plans. So I suggested we try the near-shore reefs, where seas would at least be tolerable. Paul & Celeste Luctenberg, son John, daughter Lindsay, and Bobby & Janet Cordoba withstood three to four foot seas even at the reefs all morning. But we had a good time using live shrimp to catch eighteen keeper mangrove snapper, all eleven and twelve inches, three twelve-inch lane snapper, and keeper triggerfish. We released lots of gag grouper shorts to 19 inches.<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, Christmas Eve, I fished near-shore again, with winds still blowing pretty strong. Marshall and Connie Swain, their daughter Laura, and Laura’s fiancé, Ryan Shick, had a good time at the reefs catching snapper. We caught a dozen keeper lane snapper, eight keeper mangrove snapper to 12 inches, and a keeper triggerfish. We released gag grouper shorts to 21 inches (an inch less than legal-size) along with two goliath grouper estimated at 12 pounds and 17 pounds. <o:p></o:p>

December 25<sup>th</sup> and 26<sup>th</sup> were reserved for family events and, when I got back to fishing on Saturday, 12/27, winds were feisty once again. The bay was very shallow and not a very good option, so Jerry Spetzler and son, Andy, fished with me at the near-shore reefs, where the bite was finicky all morning. We caught mostly throw-backs, which included gag grouper shorts to 21 inches and small sheepshead and triggerfish. We managed a couple of keeper mangrove snapper and a couple of grunts.<o:p></o:p>

By the time I update this fishing report next weekend, I will be changing the dates to ’09 so happy New Year to all, in advance.<o:p></o:p>

The photo shown below is of angler Marvin Griescke with a 22 inch white <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">margate</st1:city></st1:place>, caught on a live shrimp on a recent offshore Fishbuster Charter.

MarvinGriescke-22in-white-margate.JPG.05

Edited by Sam
Please use our integrated image upload feature. Thanks