3 posts in this topic

All i can really say about the last few weeks is that the fishing rarely gets better around here then what it has recently been. Has a lot to do with why I havent been posting, im spending every extra minute catchin giant rock, fooling with the monster croakers that have showed up, or nailin fat largemouths in the rivers and ponds around town. A week ago I saw the strongest push of rock, most in the 35-40" range, through the lower portions of the rivers. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (4/12-14) were spectacular. I landed a combined total of 29 rockfish over 30" these three days (15 in 6 hours on Friday). It has been really interesting this spring as I have followed the patterns of these rockfish, the way the bite has remained predictable yet varying week to week has been a particular cause of confusion. The bite will consistently come about twice over the course of a tide change, but finding the right change has been the key to success. If you arent there for the bite, fishing is slow. But when it turns on, its nonstop action. The week I had that I have already mentioned was all about the incoming tide. This week I fished the incoming tide religiously trying to find repeat success but came up empty handed twice before I figured out the fishes current preference for the ebb. I have absolutely no idea what causes the rock to prefer different tides during different weeks, but im sure the answer could lie somewhere between the weather, the moon, water temps, bait movement and the overall unpredicatability of spawning run rockfish.

Wheres the bait? Ive been fairly unimpressed with the amount of bunker ive seen in the rivers. Herring runs were lame up until this last week too. Can anyone say any different?

Opening Day rockfishing was good on the bay from what I heard from just about everyone. I found my rock off Bloody pt light. Lots of boats, everyone catching fish. This week I have to admit that I have finally layed off the rockfish. Ive been doing a lot of bass fishing, which has really heated up, but I also decided to stop to give my hands a chance to heal, which parts of have literally become raw from handling rock. Monday morning I caught one 30" fish, and Wednesday night I caught a 34", but that sums up the total for this week. Ill be back on them on Monday, especially since if we were going to see something over 45", it will be this week (I did see a 43" caught on Wednesday).

Ill put pictures up soon, since all of them are scattered between a few different cameras it will take me a minute to gather them all together and get them posted. Good luck to everybody this week.

Thanks for the great news :!: I'll look foreward to seeing those photos :D

Wow, it must be nice! Great report. :v: