71 posts in this topic

This is a good thread!

I'm Chris Schwartz, I've got a small General Contracting business that i just started in SE PA. Mostly doing high end Kitchens, and trim carpentry.

I grew up in Newark, moved to Dewey Beach (where i learned to hand-line crabs....because i needed to eat), with friends, when i was 17, stayed a while and went to culinary school. since then I have bounced around MD, VA, and DC before settling in PA.

The first Striped Bass I ever saw was caught by my mother on the Cape Henlopen Pier when i was 9 years old. My dad decided to take us to CH to fish and camp, we grabbed a bunch of fishing gear from my grandpa's garage and headed for the beach. She caught it on a Penn Mariner #49, and an old fiberglass honey colored boat road with a turned wood handle, and guide wraps that were coming unwound. Did I mention the 30 year old Dacron on the reel? It was a short bass, But i think all Stripers were throwbacks at the time. It made a serious impression on me....

I've been throwing bait into the atlantic ocean, from the beach, since I've had a driver's license. But in the last 4 years i've been actively surf fishing. Learning all i can about migrations, habits, lures, presentation, tides, wind, reading the waves, gear, location, light.....all the things that make it such an obsession.

Winching in Cow Stripers in the chesapeake is a thing of the past for me. I used to do it alot, and I can pull a bucket of water in too, with a giant reel and a short stout rod.

The only boat fishing I do anymore is Susky flats, there is no greater rush than a thrashing 30lb'er jumping clear of the 4' water, on a flyrod, or LT rod.

I love AI, more often in the spring and fall, summers are more in DE. I've got a Red 4-door Wrangler, I'm happy to shoot the bull, or hand-off some unused bait on the way out, just wave me down!

Nice to meet you Chris - maybe we'll pass ya on the sand - look for the white F-250

Eric and Chris,

Welcome to both of you!

We are happy to have ya'll in here with us.

Hope to see ya in the sand!

Chris, are you doing green kitchens? That's all the rave now, using recycled stuff. Discovery's Planet Green channel has a show titled Renovation Nation, they do A LOT of cool kitchens.

Green kitchens is something i've been learning about. Unfortunately it's a hard sell. With the cost of a new kitchen equaling that of a luxury car, there usually ends up being a lot of "Cost engineering". The eco-friendly stuff is generally more expensive than the more readily available standard materials, and sadly is the first to get scratched.

The last two that i've done, however, have both had extensive Low-Voltage lighting plans installed. which cuts the wattage draw considerably. They too are more than twice the cost of a standard lighting layout. I try to steer customers in the LV lighting direction, it makes the lower-end cabinets really pop. furthermore, the efficiency offsets the initial cost over time.:icon_thumright:

I did a Beer bottle backsplash, on a basement wet-bar one time. It was pretty sweet. We had the bottoms of beer bottles shaved off, and set them in different color-tinted mortars. We used larger liquor and wine bottle bottoms as accent mosaics too. I wish i had a picture of it.

Edited by Jeepcreep
Bottle backsplash story

When is a good time to fish for Marlin in SC?:fish:

my name is ed hester and i'm new to this board. got info on the board at the wheel's reels striper show down on the nc outerbanks this past weekend. retired, work part time as a security guard in richmond, va. spend most of the weekends in avon, nc surf fishing.

Old Guy:fish:

Hey Old Guy!

Welcome aboard!!

Feel free to jump in with questions, advice and general chit-chat.

Make friends with the search feature, lots of good info on here....

Hello, my name is Dan. I currently manage a restaurant in Havre de Grace Maryland and have a small web design company. I worked for years in radio, and as a stand up comic having managed a few comedy clubs. I have been fishing most of my life. As a child we would spend summers in Topsail Island N. Carolina. There was nothing really to do there except fish. I enjoy fishing the susquehanna flats on a regular basis. The spring trophy striper season is one of the things to look forward to in this area. This year we got several over 40 lbs. I have been making day runs to Dewy & the IRI to try to relearn surf fishing. I see many pics of monster sharks caught off the beaches down there. Ill tell you what there are many of us who would be willing to pay to learn how to do that. Fishing is one of the fastest growing industrys in the nation. You all should seriously think about a guide service for surf fishing..I know I would be willing to pay. I dont get much time to get down there and Id like to spend my time fishing & Catching bigger stuff....

-Dan

:icon_pray:

Hello all, My name is Doug Cowling. I ran my own flooring company for 5 years and currently work as an estimator/project manager for a large commercial and marine decking and flooring company in Norfolk, VA. I started fishing when i was 4. Which consisted of a broken rod i found in the shed, 20ft of line and a bobber. Mom has a pic somewhere but she said i disappeared for a couple hours and came back with a 20in spec!! I remember the fish and the spot but have no idea how i caught that fish. I grew up fishing the 3 farm ponds on our land on the southern Eastern Shore. Mostly catching bass and crappie. My saltwater fishing grew once i started fishing from Bodens Bar off of Smith Beach and wading the flats for specs and puppy drum. I grew up with small jon boats and a 13' whaler which was a lot of fun. I was very fortunate to grow up in the area that i did. The creek i grew up on has been a well known spec fishing spot since my grandfather fished it as a kid and the Cell is only a 15min run from the dock. I now fish very fanatically, as my wife puts it, for specs, grey trout, cobia, and drum. And until getting married and the birth of my son, work was merely the means of financing my fishing and hunting addictions. Boy do kids change your life. I cant wait for him to be big enough to join me on the water.

Thank you to everyone who has put this site together, and to everyone who has been so helpful with any reports and answers. You have all been a big help.

Dan,

If I am not mistaken one of the members of this board named "Finaddict" is a surf fishing guide in Delaware. You should try contacting him.

Name is Joe, I live in the Bear, De. area. I work for a Audio Visual Company in Aston, PA. I am also an Admin for an automotive website. I usually fish the DE beaches and the inlet, but I have not gotten out much at all t his year. I also pleasure boat in the upper Chesapeake Bay area, near Havre De Grace.

Thanks for having me here!!

Hey Joe, I'm right in your neighborhood. I'm always out when I can; usually quick trips to the C&D canal or Augustine beach. I'm right near OBP & 273, maybe we can drown some bloodworms together sometime?

My name is Ian, im a scrrenprinting shop manager, i design and produce clothing for a living. My familys fishing vessels name is the barracudaIII and we run out of York Harbor, ME. I enjoy catching stripers, macks, flounder, bluefish, tuna and anything else that swims. i hunt for deer and ducks too. i tie my own flies and tree rigs.

Dennis Stallings,rusted out a couple truck on the beach,and recycled a lot of aluminum cans if you know what I mean.Now I have a 1987 aquasport canter console and a 1989 grady white seafarer that I tow up and down the east coast and fish mostly the delmarva area,but have no geographic restrictions.Live on Stoney Creek,wich leads to the patapsco river ,and the chesapeake bay.I am a free lance golf course construction/irrigation superintendant.I once went fishing for 5 years,and mated on headboats,Capt.Bunting,Judy V,Tradewinds viii, Miss Ene .And many charter boats in Lewes De. and OC. during that time.Eventually I had to get another REAL job.Coming in a little late for this posting,but since I have already typed it ,here it is.

Gidday all. Corbin from Australia, Just bought a jet ski to do some fishing on, I work in sell veneers, ply ETC; Hope to enjoy the stay which I am sure I will gathering what I have read .

Welcome aboard, Nibby! Make sure you get some pictures of your jet ski fishing adventures!

Names Ian. Currently living in Knoxville TN with the hopes of moving to the Eastern Shore in the next couple years. Been fishing my whole life, mainly bass in upstate NY lakes. Spent alot of time on the eastern shore of delaware and maryland in the summers. Have surf fished for a long time, but did not have a clue until 2 years ago (still dont have much of a clue). Had some success last summer with my buddy who lives in Willards and I now spend alot of my free time figuring out how I can be more successful next time down. I mainly fish Assateague. Sharking gave me the fever, pulled in a nice dusky last summer and that just threw gas on the fire. Cant wait to get back down in june to pull in some hogs

Ian, welcome to the site - lots to learn from the team here & welcome back to the land of pleasant living!