14 posts in this topic

Good afternoon everyone! This is a fantastic site with great info. I have never been surf fishing in my life. I usually Fly fish on the Gunpowder since it is basically my backyard! However after being in OC last month and seeing surf fishing I have fallen in love!!! What would be the best store in the Baltimore area to get equipment at?

I will be coming to OC at least once a month starting in March cause my inlaws have a place on 65th st. Would I be able to fish the beach right there?

Thanks for all the help in advance this looks to be a great hobby/obsession with good people involved..

Jim Fowler Jr.

Welcome to the site!

You will be fine to fish right outside on 65th street most of the time. During the summer you have to check the times you are allowed to fish on the beach.

Welcome aboard

As for rods and reels there's a lot out there. Some people here use Tica, Diawa and others all depends what is in your price range.

What line to use is a topic all in it's own most use #17 to #20 mono.

As for terminal tackle and rig set up most use a fish finder rig.

Try checking out some of these posts.

Surf rods

Fishing line

Fish finder rigs

Just use the search to try to fine answers or just ask you will get some great advice...

[/url]

Good afternoon everyone! This is a fantastic site with great info. I have never been surf fishing in my life. I usually Fly fish on the Gunpowder since it is basically my backyard! However after being in OC last month and seeing surf fishing I have fallen in love!!! What would be the best store in the Baltimore area to get equipment at?

I will be coming to OC at least once a month starting in March cause my inlaws have a place on 65th st. Would I be able to fish the beach right there?

Thanks for all the help in advance this looks to be a great hobby/obsession with good people involved..

Jim Fowler Jr.

id suggest bass pro for the best selection in that area

pick up an ocean master rod, and reel of your choice.

and remember flyrods work on the beach too, or the inlet, and other areas.

i head the other way for fly fishing the gun myself :)

I second Bass Pro, it's in Arundel Mills Mall right off Rt 100.

For rods:

A 12' Ocean Master, model OM12SC, part # 38-100-007-00 $150. Don't go with the Cape Point, there have been problems with them, that's why the price is way down.

You could also go with a 12' Tica (not sold at Bass Pro). I have 2 of these and I am pleased with them.

For reels:

You could go with a Daiwa Black Gold, BassPro part # 38-386-484-00, $105.00.

Or a Penn Spinfisher Model 850SSM, part # 38-352-108-00,

$150.00.

You can pick up everything you need there.

A couple packs of 150# barrel swivels, 80# mono shock leader, the heavy GREEN fishfinders, not the cheap white ones. They allow the weight to slide freely along the shock leader. I'd go with some Mustad 8/0 circle hooks.

The rods and reels listed above aren't the least expensive, and not the cheapest in quality. I recommend better equipment simply because it will last a very long time and not give you problems or loose sloppiness like the cheaper stuff.

If you go cheap, you will regret it, trust me on this...

For more info and tips, including how to rig, see this section and look through it:

Fishing Tackle and Gear - Atlantic Anglers Fishing

Feel free to look through and ask what you can't find!

(moved this thread to the tackle-gear forum)

Edited by Steve

Thanks for all the great advice! I work 6 miles from Bass Pro at Arundel Mills so I am headed today!!

Fishingirl422 I have a 9 yr old German Shep. and a 22 month old APBT. They both are great dogs

Steve- I agree cheap is never the way to go it is not worth the lost hours or frustration it causes! I will let you guys know what I get hopefully I will have everything by Jan 15th . I am coming down the OC in the end of Jan maybe I will hit a warm day!

Welcome Jim.

I have a condo on 66th street, I'm out there fishing almost every weekend. I'm sure I will see you out there. I have long gray hair and a big old slobbering Mastiff.

John M.

Welcome Jim,

You can fish before 10 am and after 5:30 pm during the summer if I remember correctly. March and April and some of May, you can fish anytime.

As far as equipment, bass pro or a non brick and mortar store (internet) such as digital dagger or even ebay. There you can find some reasonable deals.

welcome Jim!

I am also a fly fisherman (the Little Lehigh stream is in my backyard) who got sucked into the surf fishing thing.

We have a condo on 110th and I fish in back of it all the time. As mentioned above, you do have to watch the time of year and times, but i find with my family's schedule I end up fishing at night or at dawn anyway so its legal no matter the time of year.

Check out the info listed above -these guys will steer you in the right direction with equipment and techniques...the rest is up to time and luck.

Hope to see you on the beach sometime this spring!

:happy7:Welcome Aboard Atlantic Angles Jim:icon_salut:

Im also new to surf fishing and wth the help of all the good people on here, I too have been able to catch fish in the surf on AI:icon_thumright: so your in good hands here:icon_pidu:

Edited by Randy Stinchcomb

All the guys on this site have their favorite stores that they go to.....but Bass Pro Is great. I got my start / addiction dealing with Oyster Bay tackle (which is in the same shopping center as the Greene Turtle in North OC). They have some relatively inexpensive TICA rods, and nice reels to combo them with. A 10' to 12' rod is a good starting point, which is rated to throw three ounces or greater. I like to give most of my business to the smaller shops....such as Oyster Bay. Their prices are the same and their more "mom and poppish"....Bass Pro makes enough $$. Get your hands on a lot of rods, and get the ones that feel right....make sure to note the line and weight recommendations.

I have come to like "Suffix" fishing line, in 15 to 17 pound, which they sell at Oyster BAY AS WELL. Get a large spool and check your line for nicks constantly. i'D GO WITH pENN SPINNING REELs...WHICH KEEP THE ELEMENTS OUT (sand etc...)THE BEST ON THE BEACH. Eventually you'll want to try out some baitcasting reels....but stick with spinning outfits for now.

Get some weights ranging from 3 to 8 ounces....which you'll figure out when to use given the tide conditions, wind, etc.

Eventually, you'll develop a Harem of rod / reel combos, where you'll have a few lighter tackle rods, which will throw 3 to 5 ounces fine, which you'll use for smaller baits. You'll also have a larger rod or two, which can throw 8 to 12 ounces, and large baits (bunker, small fish you catch and want to use for bait).

Go get 'em.