25 posts in this topic

Fished the Concrete Ships off Kiptopeke on Satuday night and landed a 45 incher in the 'yak. Then returned Sunday early AM in the boat and I got another 42 and my brother landed three to 44. All on eels. Drifted off Fisherman's and lost two fish then drifted off the ships and lost another fish. It's on.

5852a5305e9d4_PC132798(Medium).JPG.57b3e

5852a53061933_PC132795(Medium).JPG.496f6

Hey Ric! You keep posting stuff like that and I'm going to have to get one of those setups before my wife knows it!

Great job and welcome to the site! :hello:

nice fish ric. welcome. this is matt by the way. I dont think you ever knew my online name. it was good to see you at the tournament last week. you gonna be out there this week? I am gonna go sometime just not sure when. its kind of an expensive trip from nags head. nice to see more fish showing up.

Nice to see you made it over here Ric!:glasses13:

Sweet job on the fish as always!!!!

Great catch Ric, and welcome aboard!!

How far off the shore did you go in the yak?

Thanks guys. Nice site with some old friends. Fish were caught near the Concrete Ships about a 1/2 mile off the launch ramp at Kiptopeke State Park. Use a medium/heavy conventional combo spooled with 30 pound braid. Tie on a 150 pound snap swivel, a 2 to 6 ounce inline sinker, 4 feet of 80 pound fluoro and a 9/0 Owner cutting point J-hook. Paddle up to the ships and drop the eel to the bottom. Make a couple cranks to get the bait off the bottom and wait for a fish.

Wind just dropped out so I'm going tonite. I'll post the results.

Ric

Got 'em again last night. We each landed one and I lost another one.

5852a5308c363_PC172808(Medium).JPG.2b2e1

5852a5308f747_PC212007(Medium).JPG.a52cd

Edited by Sam

Look like that was Kevin with ya last night!:blob1: Nice work again Ric!!!

I love the expression! That is exactly how I feel when I hook into something, even if it isn't nearly that big.. :)

you know once i figured out that I can kayak over the summer I had a little itch to want to do it more - but seeing this thread really makes me want get out there!

you know once i figured out that I can kayak over the summer I had a little itch to want to do it more - but seeing this thread really makes me want get out there!

Same here!

Maybe they will still be there when I get my new yak, a Malibu X-13!

Looks like a 4 hour drive though..

I wonder if it would be better to go through Richmond or Salisbury, (from the DC area).

Through Rich, it reads 233 miles and 4:06 hrs, Sals is 233 miles also but reads 4:46 hrs. Just dunno' how nasty it is trying to get through Hampton.

Steve, do you have a picture of your new (soon to be) toy? What options are you getting?

I have made up my mind about getting one. :)

It's definitely an awesome way to fish!

Yep, I'm getting it from Matt (Pierman).

He helped me out A LOT!!!!!!!

We corresponded for almost a week in figuring out what would be best for me.

I am going with a yellow Malibu Kayak X-14. It has everything I need. It would probably be the best one for you too, we're the same size and do the same things. I would have gone with the X-Factor but I like the configuration of the X-13 better, suits my fishing needs, the Factor would be better for a dive platform.

I'm also going with the nice upgraded seat, for those long tours.

Slap a GPS and fish finder on it along with a milk crate with PVC holders in the back and I'm ready. I decided to use the paddle that I already have.

You should talk to Matt.

Here is the Malibu link fot the yak:

Sit On Top Kayaks, Fishing and Diving Kayaks, Malibu Kayak 4.4

I'll keep my other yak, for guests to use.

buzz_x13.jpg.465545c322e5f1eb7f238d501ab

Edited by Sam

Maybe they will still be there when I get my new yak, a Malibu X-13!

Looks like a 4 hour drive though..

I wonder if it would be better to go through Richmond or Salisbury, (from the DC area).

Through Rich, it reads 233 miles and 4:06 hrs, Sals is 233 miles also but reads 4:46 hrs. Just dunno' how nasty it is trying to get through Hampton.

I would say take the sals route. the richmond route is pretty much all highway pretty much which equates to more traffic. you will have to deal with or work around dc, richmond, and hampton rush hours. I go to the dc area for the holidays and visits and I use that route but I dont do any driving until after 9pm or so. and even then springfield can be jammed. I have seen it jammed multiple times after midnight. also the CBBT has a toll of $12 each way. they give you a break on your return trip within 24 hours is only a $5 toll. you could avoid that driving down the eastern shore. the sals route might take a little longer but you will probably save some of your sanity. the fish will still be there. they caught some last year in jan and even feb i believe. it seems to be that there the water temp needs to be 42 or higher is what the area experts say. if that is not an option there is the HRBT and I am not very familiar with it but maybe Ric can elaborate. that is a good fishery too.

Edited by Pier_man0909

well, I had a buddy go in on the trip and I drove last night to kiptopeke to katch some kows. about a 2.5 hour drive for me and got there right before midnight. saw ric and someone else getting ready to head home. I got my stuff rigged and off I went on the long, 200 yard paddle to the spot. I think its a little longer than that but not much. we got out there and the guy I was fishing with didnt even put a bait on his hook before I hear "I'm tired". well, I told him to either fish or go to the truck to sleep. he went to the truck to sleep. I was the only one out there, I was tired, I was hungry, I was cold, but I kept on fishing and I got rewarded with......nothing.....well no fish. I was rewarded the new experience of fishing a new place. I covered a lot of ground before the sun came up and never even had a bite. I went to the truck 2 times for 15 minutes each to warm up since in the hurry of packing my stuff to fish I left my gloves, sweatpants, under layer shirt, and extra socks back at home, basically all my layering clothes. dont you hate when you are hurrying so much you actually take longer and forget a lot of stuff. my buddy came back out at 7 and we fished until about 9 and had to leave so he could go to work. fine with me, I was over it. no sleep, no food, no more coffe, coooold, I was ready to get out of there. I may try again in a couple days. maybe Ill remember all my clothes. didnt hear any other reports on the boat ramp either.

if there is anyone that is curious and might be interested in checking them out I will be around the DC area for the holidays. if someone wants to look at a certain one I could bring it up and give a demo. there are others interested so I may just see when is good for everyone. also, there are books available that authors have written just about kayak fishing for someone who wants to read up on it and gain more knowledge. there is even a published member of this site.

Thanks for the info, Matt. I'm glad you were able to get out there and get a feeling for the area.

Yeah, cold, hungry and tired are not a good mix for fishing. :icon_pale:

Thanks for the info, Matt. I'm glad you were able to get out there and get a feeling for the area.

Yeah, cold, hungry and tired are not a good mix for fishing. :icon_pale:

cold, hungry, tired, and alone most of the time. I was really feelin it so I was fishing hard the whole time knowing that I could catch a big fish at any moment. made it hard for the drive home though, had to pull over a couple times. I havent quite figured out my fishfinder. I saw a lot of stuff, at some points looked like bait from top down 30 feet across the whole screen. saw some big marks that were probably fish or really condensed bait. the FF's I usually have seen show fishes as pretty defined arches and what I saw looked like fish but more like blobs then arches.

Perty work Ric, beats the heck out of my I went yak fishing in cold weather for the first time and caught a 19" fish story.

Yakking bait out for sharks, i won't do. This - i'm all over!!! Wow...