14 posts in this topic

well, the tourney is over and everyone is tired and burnt out. I didnt fish nearly as hard as some others and I logged over 24 hours of fishing 10 am friday - 7 pm saturday, and turned in after that. I really just wasnt feeling it. never had that feeling all weekend. friday I could only fish 2 rods because thats all the drifting 12's would let me. they were drifting about as fast as I could walk them and was even worse when there was a doggie on the line. I was even drifting 12's when everyone else was holding with 10's. it was just plain rough, however, most of the fish were caught in the rough conditions. saturday was beautiful with the wind 10 knots and less variable from the ne-se, the water calming down and getting cleaner 8 ounces was holding. fished hard from before sunup till after dark with only doggies to show. it was getting old wading out as far as I could and throwing as hard as I could with 3 rods changing bait frequently to either be rewarded with a dogfish or just a really long crank in so I headed home to eat, check the weather and reevaluate my fishing plan and just wound up going to sleep. went to the weigh in this morning and out of almost 300 people there were only 4 fish caught! hey, I was tied for 5th I guess. 4th place went to someone from this board (great job) with a 22 lber and the other 3 were all under 25 lbs. there were 6 paying places left so they put them into the drawing that every registrant gets into for registering. 6 people had their names to win $100, $500, $750, and several people had their names called but were not present therefor forfeiting their prize. there were many other prizes as well including custom rods, yeti coolers, reels, clothing, lures, line, and all kinds of other stuff. I won a $50 BPS gift card. overall i would guess they raffled off around 50+ prizes. I think they called 10-15 names of people who were not present. also, everyone who registered received a carhart scull cap, t-shirt, under armor style shirt, informational packet with fish information and stock status reports, a reel bag, and stickers. even some atlanticanglers.com stickers made it in the hand outs. great tournament even if the fish were not around. maybe we can hear from some other participants including one of the big money winners.

Yeah,

I got a call saying it was tough sledding and filled with :grommit::grommit:doggies:grommit::grommit:!

I need to fish the tourney one year.............

Thanks for feedback Matt. Curiosity has been killing me. Was really hoping for you and Erik to score. Probably bust open any day there. Looks like they are hanging at CBBT again.

I'll catch one tommorrow. I still have quite a bit of bait and I dont want it to go to waste. there are fish around, I have heard of lots of fish to the north, even a rumor of a blitz on the beach for about an hour a few days ago and some schools to the south off the beach. I think the next nice day I will launch my plastic boat somewhere, probably north.

I had a good time.I fished pretty hard tossing 12 and 14oz the first 13 hours straight. A total of 29 out of 33 hours of fishing with nothing but doggies.

Congrats, Erik! You deserve it and I am glad you were able to beat the odds. Thanks again for the opportunity, Matt. :icon_thumleft:

Edited by Sam

Tourney was great.

Matt (pierman) was a super nice host to me and Sam...Matt put us up at his place in Nags Head....and managed to find us some fresh local Fatback to fish with.

Many thanks, Matt!

Sam fished his butt off....the conditions on the beach Fri and Fri nite were HARSH TO SAY THE LEAST...Sam stayed out all nite fishing in near impossible conditions.Whoa!

I got lucky rolling a 12 oz sinker down the beach Fri.....same thing everyone else was doing.Catching a fish was like winning the lottery this year.

The Striper Showdown is awesome....1st rate all the way.Those OBX guys have really got it goin on!

Can't wait till next year...

Congrats Erik!!! Quite an accomplishment, considering how many anglers out there with only a few being caught.

i also fished this showdown this past weekend. was not one of the 4 that caught fish but had a great time. i have fished this showdown all 4 years now that they have had it.

old guy:clock:

Matt, I got your message last night. Thanks again for your hospitality! I highly recommend fishing the OBX and look forward to learning more about it in the near future.

I was so dissapointed I didnt catch a fish that I went out again today for 9 hours. might have looked better than saturday, yet, 2 spineys, 1 smoothie, 2 bundles of skate eggs, and 1 5 foot stick.

in case anyone was wondering.

1 Scott Rogers had a 24 lb striper that won him $3,000.00

2 George Ochoa had a 23.5 lb striper that won him $3,000.00

3 Matt "Mongo" Bright had a 22.5 lb striper that won him $1,500.00

4 Erik Eskidsen had a 22 lb striper that won him $1,500.00

shame there was only 4 fish caught.

Thanks Matt. Here are some pictures of the birds working outside the bar (and a few inside at times) just hours before the tournament began.

5852a52f9062c_12-09-08050.jpg.e3de7ddae4

5852a52f9531b_12-09-08051.jpg.0358abee3a

Welcome to the site, old guy!