4 posts in this topic

ok im thinkin about a new rod, probly 11-12ft rated at least 10oz, maybe 12. i prefer the stiffer rods

dont know if it will be spin or casting. most likely a tica, maybe an emblem, wanna keep the cost down

how difficult is it to lear a casting reel, leaning toward an abu 6501. i would prefer a level wind. i hate guiding the line.

can a surf spinning rod be used with a casting reel? i know the guides are different.

It's pretty easy to learn,,,I cant imagine anyone really having a problem throwing casting,,,heck, you are using a fly rod, something that I would imagine would be much more difficult to learn than a casting reel,,,you may have a blow up here and there but its all worth while when first starting out,,,at first, it's love hate realtionship, but after a very short period, the hate goes right out the window and its all LOVE :) . If you or anyone else is going to be at the fling in the late afternoon, you are all more than welcome to throw mine,,,I can "almost garauntee" you will not have a blow with my reels with the setting set at slow.

Cant answer your other question, never tried throwing a casting reel with a spinning rod,,,I guess it could be a problem on the first guide sitting up higher on a spinning than a casting rod,,,try it first, it may not be a problem.

im planning on coming to the fling, im trying to iron out a few things so i know when then i can figure out what i can bring. been waitin on a phone call

I know the spines are different on the conventional rods. They bend the other way and the guides are much smaller.