57 posts in this topic

Folks in the upper Chessie are seeing some cloudy waters from releases at Conowingo. Yellow Perch are still readily available. The Blues are on the way out, the larger ones have fled.

Middle Chessie is seeing water temps drop with schools of undersized Stripers.

Lower Chessie has a mixed bag of small Blues and small Stripers. Spot is still being caught throughout the region.

Surf Zone: On the frontal sands, expect Dogfish, some Skate/Rays and hordes of smaller Blues. Still waiting for the Stripes to show.

The inlet and Rt 50 bridge are producing Tog, big Trout, big Blues and some decent Stripes.

We're waiting for the big blast, should be here within this week.

Let us know how you fared...

Edited by Sam

I fished the Lower potomac, around coles point and the Gas Docks. Tried jigging, with no luck although we were marking plenty of fish once we hit 25' We switched gears and put out the trolling gear. We were running a Green Double Bucktail, White Umbrella and decided to throw out a #2 planer with a clark spoon. I Finally a fish. Barely legal but in the box it went. Just over 18". That was the only fish we caught on sat.

Sunday we went out with another one of the campground residents and had a much better day. With 3 of us on the boat, at one point we had a triple. Everytime we crossed that spot we caught at least one fish for the next few passes. Only fished for about 3-4 hours on sunday. All in all, it was great to get out on the water and get a little action. The pictures.....I had to get a picture of the finder on sat when we weren't catching anything.....I couldn't believe it. Vince is holding the one keeper just shy of 20" on sunday (although there were several others caught right at the 18" mark but we decided not to risk any shrinkage in the box and released them.

sonarandgps.jpg.0c5c6d1a83c0a804d2659ad8

colespointsunset.jpg.63264d04a10e6f764dc

vinceinsunset.jpg.f8b6f00e88922f08f6fe99

vincetakingpictures.jpg.fe81b7f7bd3b6215

vince20instriper2.jpg.a0d981bddd9f834ac4

Fished <acronym title="Assateague Island">AI</acronym> all weekend. 20+ skates Friday and Sat. Couldn't hold Sunday in the blow. Patience paid off yesterday A.M. 38" near the fence. :happy7:

110308.jpg.87fe024ec484bfff2dede3478919e

Great job! It's nice to see a larger striper caught. I think that sustained east wind has helped.

Thanks for the report, Jeff. :)

Fished today on the outgoing this afternoon, 3 -7. Managed a 39" striper.

001.JPG.af580a49f4459866547ff07245e7c371

Everything looked and felt good for catching...off and on heavy rain, choppy with a NE breeze. 8's held fine, water looked excellent. Would of stayed later but those spinies were out in full force after dark and decided to pack it up. Wish we had these type of conditions often. Was going to head out tomorrow, but decided to hit it this afternoon.

Nice fish Rufus!

Edited by Coop

Nice start of the season Rufus, welcome to the board!

Coop, we can always rely on you to know when they are starting.

Oh mannnnn...it is howling and pouring today!...victory at sea conditions today...gotta be gusting over 40mph outside right now.

nice fish guys, water looked DIRTY was it?

Ben, Water was clean yesterday

Ben, Water was clean yesterday

must have been the light then...thanks!

Hit AI today for about 5 hours not much to say but had a good bit of grass at low tide and thinned out by high but stilled made it a pain in the :booty: to fish. Not much hitting the bait had a lot come back in with just one or two bites taken out of the bait..either blues or crabs was hard to tell..

Hit mid O.C. surf yesterday for about 7 hours. My brother and nephew came down from PA for a day of fishin'. My nephew pulled in a 20" striper on the first cast and that was the only bite of the day. Current was pulling fairly strong to the south. We needed eights to hold. Getting ready to head back out now for another go at it.

John

Just a hunch, but I would think this weekend would be very good for catching a striper.

Hit the potomac at coles point again yesterday. Marked tons of fish and bait from 25' to 80' We trolled umbrella rigs, surgical tubes and clark spoons. No hits, on anything but the umbrellas and wow what a hit we got. Only two fish in about 5 hours of trolling, but the first fish topped in around 46" and somewhere close to 45 lbs. Second fish came in at 26". Needless to say there will be striper on the menu this week.

graham_holding_fish.jpg.9dae8e6e3774ae28

Jeff_holding_fish.jpg.30d9e86d10f4d3f62b

fish_on_board.jpg.d29aa08b2611888cb2ae99

Fished AI today for the incoming tide and was pretty much skunked all day. The wife caught the smallest doggie I have ever seen to avoid the complete skunk.

Oh, not that there is any doubt in mine or anyone else's mind as to where that fish was within the past week or two, but it was absolutely COVERED with sea lice when we pulled it out of the water.....

Yeah, it looked like it was pretty beat up.

But nice pullage!!!

Yeah, it looked like it was pretty beat up.

But nice pullage!!!

Yeah, honestly its not that often that you actually get to fight a fish while trolling the bay. Typically its just crank her in.....but this one...Head shakes, drag screaming runs...I had to work to get her in...I took my time and slowly got her to the boat...Graham said he was starting to worry about knots and terminal tackle by the time it got to the boat....but, apparently my knots held.

Edited by Steve
oops, hit wrong button