10 posts in this topic

OK just got a letter in from the U.S Fish & Wildlife Service. They sent me a nice hat ( you will see it Friday) and a certificate of participation that comes with your name and the Information about the fish. That rock believe it or not was tagged on March 28 1995 at 27.38" in the Delaware Bay in NJ by NJDEP. Now this blow my mind I landed that fish on March 31 2006, 11 years and 3 day from when it was tagged in the Delaware bay. Now that's 8) . I did not think that that fish was that old, maybe around 18 yr. but if it was 27" 11 years ago I'm not sure how fast rocks grow and hit maturity and the I think would slow down there growth rate. That makes me think that some of these fish are a lot older the we think. Makes the tagging program sound a lot better thing to get into with the smaller fish we catch and release.

See ya all Friday :up:

very cool 8) ,,,looks like the fish was probably moving north to spawn in the delaware bay and was probably hanging off the north carolina area in the winter,,,very cool info

that was a pretty old fish in relationship to its size,,,probabably a male,,,slower gowth rates than the female and only guessing that it was a male and may have maxed out on its size a while ago,,,I think you mentioned the fish was filled with white sacs which were actually sperm sacs.

http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/Stripers_Research/S00554173-00554180.0/stripers%20size%20age.pdf

Nice. Neat background info....fish stories.... 8)

That 11 yr is just from when it was tagged.

ohhh, so it wasn't a juvenile fish. even more remarkable it stayed on the run so-long :?:

Ya cool isn't it. I catch a fish that is most likely older then my daughter :).

Wow. Kind of makes me appreciate them more now that I realise how old they are.

I must have missed the report but how big was it when you caught it?

Anthony, I think Dave said it was 36",,,had to been a pretty old fish being 27" 10 years ago,,,it's a cool thing 8)