11 posts in this topic

The lake water temps have moved into the lower 60's and the predators have moved out of the shallows in search of food. All across the region, fall is settling in with it's cooler temps. The LMB, Chain Pickeral and other aggressive species are out on the hunt!

As grass beds are broken up, look for more cruisers in deeper water chasing the Perch, Crappie and Blue Gills. The western part of the state has seen a bountiful stocking of Brown Trout and the catch is on!

Central and eastern areas can find the same predatory species patrolling the deeper areas and out of the shallows.

All manner of artificial lures have been productive throughout the region.

Get out and enjoy the changing colors of fall!

Let us know how the trip went.

lock raven is turning out some diecent bass and pickereland the lower potomac ,the big cats in the 30to40lbs range are stell to be found . just spoke to the dnr saturday. he said they just did an electro fishing study a couple weeks ago to see how many cats were in the river and what they were feeding on . he said mostly feeding on shad n bluegills . most fish caught were between 40''to60'' in lenght approx.30 to 50lbs

Thanks for the report, Don. I've never really done much freshwater fishing, but I can imagine pulling in a 60lber has got to be fun!

That's some nice kitties Don!!!!

Thanks for the report....

I dont know how the all you other anglers feel about catching large fish on lite tackle but i just took my son ,he's 10,to the potomac today11/02/08. The big cats are still there in the fort washington area. lost 2 in a tree or something not sure what was at the bottom in 50' of water ,caught a few small ones ,then my son hooked the biggest fish of his life so far. A 42lb monster hooked on a light action rod with 12lb line . after a 20 minute battle brought the fish into the boat . HAVE NEVER BEFORE SEEN SUCH A SHOCKED,HAPPY LOOK ON MY SON'S FACE. Ithink today he finally saw and understood my enjoyment in fishing. soon as i can figure out how i'll post some of these cats in here

Oh man, how cool is that!!

Would have liked to see the look on Dad's face when youngster outfished him, LOL!!

To post pics, you have to be in Advanced edit/post. Look toward the bottom and you'll see where you can add attachments.

Yo Don do you fish Blue Plains OR the Spoils in the winter for blue cats??????

Um, Phil?

The ones in Blue Plains are actually floaters.... :drunken_smilie:

as for the look on my face , i pretty much had the same look as my son dan did!:D

thanks 4 the info steve ,i think i've got it now. if so you should see 1 of my previous catshes an the fish dan beet me by catching

Edited by don.themason
add pics

steve i know this is the freshwater side of the forum , but if you really wanted to ''see the look on dads face '' ''when he out fished me you should have seen my face when dan caught this 1 (he was 9 then)

5852a52cbbe45_Dans6ft.Sailfish.jpg.72520

Great job! Thanks for the pictures. I am still working on the picture upload tutorial, but it looks like you're ahead of me.

Nice job. :icon_salut: