41 posts in this topic

Folks, we have the reports set on a 2 week sticky for the time being.

The Drum have all but gone on their way in the surf zone. We are currently experiencing a lull in the action as we wait for the fall players to sling into action.

Water temps are getting in the zone in the surf for the critters with stripes to show up. Should be any day now as they are in the lower Chessie Bay up to 40".

Upper and middle Chessie:

Small spot are still being caught and being live-lined for the Stripers.

Only problem is the small Blues are teraing them up. The big Stripers aren't up in these regions yet.

Lower Chessie:

Stripers up to 40" are being taken on live and cut Spot, which can still be caught locally mind you...

The Middle Grounds and Cove Point are providing good pullage with larger Blues on trolled red or green eels and spoons.

From both shores, a mixture of smaller fish are being taken.

Tidal rivers: Small Blues are making themselves noticed.

Crabbing is generally good in the lower Chessie's tribs.

Should be a short wait for things to get better in the middle Chessie and the surf zone. The critters with stripes are coming up the stairs right to our front door!

Get out there and have a kick in the sand, let us know how your trip went.

Me and pop fished the very top end...just fed the crabs.

weird to see a report thread with a "Nov" in the title...

With the cold snap we should see fish in the next two weeks no doubt. If it stays cold we may just get an actual run instead of a fall trickle. The past few years has had gradual cooling and IMO the fish never had urgency. If it stays cold and in the 30's at night we may get a good slug of fish, hope we have wind and bait in our favor...

Ben , I hope your right. Been pretty scarce the last couple years. If we could just do something about the darn crabs too. They are bad and are probably on top of the heads probably in minutes. I started tinkering around with floats just to try to keep the bait up.

on the heads I think we're good, there is a great thread on SOL with pics of stomach content of stripers. I'm talking lobsters, bluecrabs, calicos, searobins, keeper flounder etc. They'll eat anything, a head covered up with a live bait isn't bad either, problem is the damn chunks.

That is crazy, Ben! I have never seen much more than a few speckled crabs in the bellies I have inspected (every fish I catch). I wonder where that lobster came from? It looks pretty fresh.

That is crazy, Ben! I have never seen much more than a few speckled crabs in the bellies I have inspected (every fish I catch). I wonder where that lobster came from? It looks pretty fresh.

from what I can tell lobsters are a pretty common find in their bellies. Most I ever found was some big bunker but I don't keep many stripers at all, bout one a year. In the spring they are usually lean anyhow but in the fall I bet you can find some wild stuff.

Most of the pics are from fish north of DE bay, it was pretty telling how oportunistic they are. I especially like the flatties and schoolie.

went out last night to the 50 bridge and i got an 18in rock and my dad got an 18incher also saw some keepers rolling n the currentbut couldnt get them to bite. dnr came and talked to my dad because there was a call for a poacher on the on the bridge :angry4:which i assume was caught. Its unfortunate people have to do this to the fish we work so hard to catch. well all in all good day fishing.

Wow Ben!

Somebody was getting their fill of mixed seafood!

That whole Lobster is wild!

Dang Ben...that lobster is crazy. I have seen tons of crabs, shrimp, sand eels and bunker in the stomachs. I know I had a couple stripers that had a fair amount of hardhead in its stomach one tome also.

The one thing that got my interest was how much stuff was in the stomach of a striper caught in 39* water. Not sure if their metabolism slows down, so does the digestion, but that stomach was packed solid with looked like tiny crabs...maybe those isopods.

went out last night to the 50 bridge and i got an 18in rock and my dad got an 18incher also saw some keepers rolling n the currentbut couldnt get them to bite. dnr came and talked to my dad because there was a call for a poacher on the on the bridge :angry4:which i assume was caught. Its unfortunate people have to do this to the fish we work so hard to catch. well all in all good day fishing.

Nice report...:icon_thumleft:

I caught a rock once with 2 eels and a sassy shad complete with leadhead and hook. The paint had been eaten away off the lead other than that I used it the next time I went out:icon_rabbit:

Fished mid O.C. today 8:30am till 5:00pm nice eastern wind kinda rough. 3 blues up to 18" one 15" flounder and my first Red Drum, only a 17" but I'll take it. Fished for drum for a month and a half with nothing. Today was trying for rock and ended up with a drum. Damn good day. Blues were on finger mullet, Drum and flounder were on cut bunker.

Great pictures of the contents of the rocks stomach, I had no idea they would eat a lobster. All fish released safely to grow bigger for another day.

John

Edited by 66fisher

Last night...nice east fetch and felt like catching weather, heard a few puppies around. Never ever caught one and would really like to hook one and bring it home to eat. Ended up catching only skate.

Man, I really missed the pull of skate:icon_thumbdown:. Got my fill of it after catching 1. I really do not care for those things, but I guess they have there place in the ocean.

Hey Scott...:hello::3gears:.

I tried yesterday afternoon too.Looked fishy, but couldn't even get a skate.

Outer bar looks like the Berlin Wall down as far as I looked,,,really shoaled up.

my buddy dwayne fished ai last night and sent me these pics,,

what a bummer, im in lancater this weekend and a lil far from the beach..... i will be there sunday afternoon though.

he caught a total of 3 puppies in a short time frame. 17 to 26 inches.

1024081614a.jpg.90dd0f4014176396a5d26d04

1024081622.jpg.d9414df53b0217b971128db0c

Nice Pups!!

Scott, have you eaten any of the Skate yet?

You heard the Pups, eh? Yipping and barking at ya huh? :D

Very nice! I bet that was a surprise. thanks for the pictures. :icon_thumright:

The upper Chessie is still seeing smaller Stripers, but larger Perch are in good numbers.

The central reaches of the Bay is pretty much reported as unchanged.

The lower Chessie is still hot-on!

Larger Blues are on the move to the south, Flounder can be had along the channel edges and Stripers are in the area along with Trout.

Trolling is the better ticket except when faced with the gangs of Blues tearing up your plastics.

For the MD surf zone:

Key word...

Bluefish. They have been tearing up the cut bait on the bottom. They are in the 14-20 inch range, so not much size to them yet. They should be on the move south along the coast anytime.

Tog fishing on the Rt 50 bridge has been picking up with more quality fish. Sand Fleas and pieces of crab seem to be their choice. At night, a mixture of species have been taken on Gotcha Plugs.

Stripers you ask???

Here and there, mostly in the inlet and bridge on tossed metal.

We keep waiting for their run to the south, could be any day now with the water temps on the downward slide.

Keep at it and ye shall be rewarded!

Let us know how you did out there!

Nice catches 66fisher!...and nice puppies. Hopefully some day, I may be able to snag one.

Just got back from the OBX caught two specks and a pup was wondering if anyone has any report on the rockfish on A.I yet .:icon_salut: