13 posts in this topic

been pretty busy mullet fishing so I havent kayak fished much. I got out 3 times in the last 9 days since the mullet fishing has been slow for me. kinda sucks fishing right around the full moon I guess. day1- caught 5 flounder (4 keepers), and 1 30" drum. day 2- caught 6 flounder (4 keepers), and 4 under slot puppy drum. day 3- 2 bites but both pulled off. the only fish I landed was a small flounder I snagged in the back (?)

on day 2 I saw many puppy drum crashing schools of finger mullet and making swirls but I did not catch one by casting a live mullet to them. the water has been gin clear. Im gona give it another try after the blow. there are still many flounder in the sound that I have been hearing about from the commercial fishermen.

I am seriously considering getting one of those fishing kayaks. Man, those things can really get you places no boat can go!

Matt, do you have any pictures you can upload to this thread?

clear.gif

IMG_06491JPG-1.jpg

clear.gif

DSC_0279JPG-1.jpg

clear.gif

clear.gif

if you want to learn more about them you can go to their homepage to get the specs. www.malibukayaks.com

sorry, I usually go fishing by myself and dont have any pics of me on the water

Edited by Pier_man0909

not of me on the water, but you get the point.

4286d1219847676-8-18-sound-report-0022172.jpg

there are a couple more pics somewhere but I cant find them

Very cool. I think I am going to save up for one to use this coming spring / summer behind Assateague. Thanks for the pictures.

I have wanted to try it back there, I know I can find some fish. maybe some ocean striper, or red fishing. one day I will throw my heavers and some camping equipment in and paddle to some barrier island.

Edited by Pier_man0909

That's a long haul, brother.. Trust me on that. :coffee:

maybe one of your buds with a boat could take you out to the jackspot, ham bone, or hot dog and you could fish for whatever species is available at the time....out of your kayak. whatcha think sam.

Matt,

Where is a good place to launch the yak in NC?

Is there anything to be caught in January?

just about anywhere as long as you can get through the surf. in january you can drive on a certain beach where all the boats go to catch stripers and if you are there at daybreak, before all the boats get there you might see birds everywhere working on bait with the bigger fish.