18 posts in this topic

tried fishing assateague island for the last time saturday night got skunked again as normal for the past 17 years .

what am i missing other than fish . never see any thing other than small skates n shark smaller than 16'' .

think i'll stick to fishing delaware's beaches , they are closer and more actual fish worth catching. WHAT AM I MISSING?!:angry9::confused:

cant really really tell you what your missing, but have you tried reading the beach at low tide? What parts of the island have you tried (north end or south) what time of year were you out there? What kind of bait were you using?( Fresh compared to frozen). I dont really know where to start. I have had really good days out there and really lousy days, it all matters on location, bait and most importantly the fish, if your in the right place at the right time, it's on,. I have put in over 300 hours this fall just for drum and they have eluded me, but last year I fished maybe 100 hours for drum and nailed one. dont give up on AI just yet, just make sure to track what is being caught and plan your trips accordingly. Also the more time you put in the more you will increase your odds. I rarely spend less than 12 hours out there on one trip. Believe me I am just as frustrated as you, this year I have had plenty of shark, but none of any massive size, no drum and so far so striper. I really didnt get to fish much for striper this spring though so I am not to disappointed about that. I do plan on gettin one soon though.

I caught many fish at A.I. this summer, blues,spot,kingfish,TB flounder and some sharks. The previous spring had a good striper run.

Surf fishing anywhere is pretty much hit or miss most of the time.

What fish are you trying to catch at A.I.? Right now its pretty much red drum or bust (with small blues stealing your bait). Getting real close to striper time or some big blues! Just need that temp to drop.

Most of what I hear from De beaches is always bluefish, so I am not really sure what is there and not at A.I.

If it was closer to me and didn't require a license I would probably fish the DE beaches as well expect when targeting red drum or I wanted to get away from the crowd.

cant really really tell you what your missing, but have you tried reading the beach at low tide? What parts of the island have you tried (north end or south) what time of year were you out there? What kind of bait were you using?( Fresh compared to frozen). I dont really know where to start. I have had really good days out there and really lousy days, it all matters on location, bait and most importantly the fish, if your in the right place at the right time, it's on,. I have put in over 300 hours this fall just for drum and they have eluded me, but last year I fished maybe 100 hours for drum and nailed one. dont give up on AI just yet, just make sure to track what is being caught and plan your trips accordingly. Also the more time you put in the more you will increase your odds. I rarely spend less than 12 hours out there on one trip. Believe me I am just as frustrated as you, this year I have had plenty of shark, but none of any massive size, no drum and so far so striper. I really didnt get to fish much for striper this spring though so I am not to disappointed about that. I do plan on gettin one soon though.

when i had my 4x4 i fished from 1 end to the other md&va ,all times of the year,and now am limited to non off road zone . been fishing the island since i was 17 am now 36 . have never seen a diecent fish yet . november in delaware at least i catch rock , large blues , diecent shark . all at least 15lbs or bigger. i always use fresh bait when i can get it

sorry about the luck, I know the feeling. I have had on o.k. year but this fall has been horrible this year for me.

when i had my 4x4 i fished from 1 end to the other md&va ,all times of the year,and now am limited to non off road zone . been fishing the island since i was 17 am now 36 . have never seen a diecent fish yet . november in delaware at least i catch rock , large blues , diecent shark . all at least 15lbs or bigger. i always use fresh bait when i can get it

well if you ever want to try the OSV zone again let us know.. we always have room to throw someone's stuff in the back and head down the beach. I know in the last year I have seen ffemtreed pull in a few nice stripers (looks guys I spelled it right) - I saw trowpa catch a big old blue fish - and i've seen a whole lot of little stuff and sharks caught - I wasn't there to see it but Coop caught a 50"+ striper in the spring run -

I'm like you though I get frustrated because I see them get caught but can't catch them myself - I'm deteremined to start fishing hard in the next few weeks to get my own striper - and took the whole week of thanksgiving off to fish until I do ... I've threatened to give up a few times!

Just PM me or ffemtreed if you ever want to try it again!

dont know anything about pming someone. anyone willing to give me a ride down the beach with my gear and can show me what im doing wrong ,i'd be willing to give it another try. will be tied up with work for about the next 3 weeks but any weekend after that will be free. anyone willing can contact me either on here or at my email don.themason@yahoo.com

To PM (Private Message) someone just click on their name and a menu should popup and from that menu you can select Send Private Message.

in delaware at least i catch rock , large blues , diecent shark . all at least 15lbs or bigger
All at least 15lbs or bigger? Amazing!
anyone willing to give me a ride down the beach with my gear and can show me what im doing wrong ,i'd be willing to give it another try.

Are you SERIOUS? Most people would be honored to have someone give them a tip on here. You would be really lucky to have someone share their techniques in passing. In case you haven't noticed (which it actually appears you have) learning techniques, what gear to use and what conditions to look for are difficult to figure out by yourself and that "everyone owes me" attitude isn't going to get you very far.

Some have already given you advise, but I recommend doing your own research before you take up any more space on "skunk island"....

WHAT AM I MISSING?
I'm just going to stop here...:angry7:

YES I WAS SERIOUS . AND I DON'T HAVE AN EVERYBODY OWES ME ATTITUDE ! SOME ONE OFFERED A POSSIBLE RIDE DOWN THE BEACH SINCE I DONT HAVE A 4X4 ANYMORE .

BESIDES PERSONALY I TRY IN ANYWAY I CAN TO HELP OTHER FISHERMEN TO BE ABLE TO ENJOY THE SPORT AS MUCH AS I DO . I GUESS THATS THE CHRISTIAN IN ME . APARENTLY YOUR IGNORANCE MAKES YOU THINK YOU CAN JUDGE ME. GOD PUT THE FISH IN THE WATERS OF THIS PLANET FOR EVERYONE

HE ALSO GAVE EVERY ONE THE ABILITY TO CATCH THEM WETHER FOR FOOD OR FUN. IN HIS EYES MEN AND WOMEN ARE SUPOSSED TO HELP EACH OTHER NOTH BE SELFCENTERED AND EGOTISTICAL. NOONE OWES ME ANYTHING ! I ASKED IF SOMEONE WAS WILLING / NOT SOMEONE SHOULD OR HAD TO. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE:angry8:!!!

Well I suppose the "higher one" that put the fish in the ocean is also a good judge of character.

And that's why YOU call it Skunk Island.

Dude, you are just too angry and bustin' on the world.

Don, The initial reason I was upset was because your comments so far have been very negative. You told one member

you should be ashamed of yourself
for keeping fish before you had the facts about his trip. Do you consider that judging someone?

You called Assateague "Skunk island" and basically said it is worthless to fish because you never catch anything worth keeping. Have you considered some anglers might actually catch fish on Assateague? Do you think they consider it "skunk island"?

Personally, Assateague is a very special place to fish and my family has been fishing there for generations. Now, we are fighting to keep the OSV zone open. To have someone come on my website and disrespect my favorite place to fish is offensive to not only me, but the countless others who love to fish there.

I read the post about someone offering to take you and your fishing gear out, show you how to fish and your response was

"I'd be willing to give it another try"
... "
And by the way, you get up with me by emailing me about taking me out"
... That just hit me the wrong way.

Personally, I would be very grateful for that kind of opportunity. Not to mention how kind it was of them to offer. Your response seemed very unappreciative and ungrateful to me.

I, and many others, have given COUNTLESS new fishermen rides on Assateague and I know what a pain it is to haul them and their stuff out there, but it is a pleasure to help someone out because they really enjoy it and most of all they show their appreciation.

I along with other have given you advise and so far all of your feedback has been negative just because you haven't caught anything you would consider worth keeping. In case you haven't noticed, not too many people are having a lot of luck right now on AI.

I will admit that I should have phrased my initial post in a more positive and professional manner. I usually handle those kinds of posts with a little more restraint... And for that mistake, I am sorry.

... have you tried reading the beach at low tide? What parts of the island have you tried (north end or south) what time of year were you out there? What kind of bait were you using?( Fresh compared to frozen).
Questions that are attempting to point you in a direction.
I don't really know where to start. I have had really good days out there and really lousy days, it all matters on location, bait and most importantly the fish, if your in the right place at the right time, it's on,. I have put in over 300 hours this fall just for drum and they have eluded me, but last year I fished maybe 100 hours for drum and nailed one. dont give up on AI just yet, just make sure to track what is being caught and plan your trips accordingly. Also the more time you put in the more you will increase your odds. I rarely spend less than 12 hours out there on one trip. Believe me I am just as frustrated as you, this year I have had plenty of shark, but none of any massive size, no drum and so far so striper. I really didnt get to fish much for striper this spring though so I am not to disappointed about that. I do plan on gettin one soon though.
One of many perfect examples of a guy with a positive attitude when it is so easy to complain. Dave is an excellent example of a great fisherman... because great fishermen have periods of hard times too...

well if you ever want to try the OSV zone again let us know.. we always have room to throw someone's stuff in the back and head down the beach. I know in the last year I have seen ffemtreed pull in a few nice stripers (looks guys I spelled it right) - I saw trowpa catch a big old blue fish - and i've seen a whole lot of little stuff and sharks caught - I wasn't there to see it but Coop caught a 50"+ striper in the spring run -

I'm like you though I get frustrated because I see them get caught but can't catch them myself - I'm deteremined to start fishing hard in the next few weeks to get my own striper - and took the whole week of thanksgiving off to fish until I do ... I've threatened to give up a few times!

Just PM me or ffemtreed if you ever want to try it again!

This is an unbelievably unselfish post from someone who is truly interested in helping someone catch a nice fish from Assateague even though she has never landed one herself.

Kindness, courage and a willingness to help a discouraged and obviously negative person. Outstanding in my book. :icon_pray:

All at least 15lbs or bigger? Amazing!

Are you SERIOUS? Most people would be honored to have someone give them a tip on here. You would be really lucky to have someone share their techniques in passing. In case you haven't noticed (which it actually appears you have) learning techniques, what gear to use and what conditions to look for are difficult to figure out by yourself and that "everyone owes me" attitude isn't going to get you very far.

Some have already given you advise, but I recommend doing your own research before you take up any more space on "skunk island"....

I'm just going to stop here...:angry7:

Okay, take a lesson from my mistake. This is not how to handle a disgruntled, discouraged angler. I should have taken a while to think about the situation and follow the lead of the other encouraging folks on this board. :eusa_shifty:

Don, If you can make it down on a tuesday, ANY TUESDAY, I would be more than willing to give you a lift, I have done it numerous times for many other anglers. All you need to do is drop me a pm or just let me know here. I, like i said,I have had a bad year, does not mean I am wanting to say the heck with A.I. you cant blame the area, you can only tell yourself you were either in the right place at the wrong time, or the wrong place at the right time. Hence why it is called fishing and not catching. I entered the Red drum tourney this year with really high hopes of catching a red, (any red), and I spent the first 28 some hours with no sleep sitting in the rain checking bait every 20 to 30 minutes with not even as much as a hit from a blue. All the while I kept hearing reports of people nailing Reds about every 4 or five hours, I changed my location twice, only slept a total of 4 hours and sat in the rain for a total of what must have been 58 out of the 70 some hours I was out there and all I caught was a smallish sand bar shark. I ended up getting a hole in both feet of my waders half way through the tourney, spent over 300 bucks preparing and paying to enter the tourney, fished in very tight quarters, etc, etc, etc, and you know what the very next day after the tourney I went home got some sleep and came right back out only to catch a couple sand tiger sharks. I am getting tired of hearing you say A.I. is "skunk island" when I for one know in the past I have done excellent out there, it is all just a matter of being at the right place at the right time, putting in your time and spending a lot of time reading up on how to read the beach, what rigs to use and practice on your distance casting. I can honestly say, I for one have had one of my worst years out here and I still want to get out there and get mine. Yes it gets hard staying in a positive attitude, it is hard to want to go out and spend 100 and up per trip especially after having such a bad year, but you know what it is all worth while once you land your big one. Besides you can call AI skunk island all you want, but if your not willing to put in the time, have the patience and skill needed out there, you really cant call yourself a true fisherman. I lost so many fish out there my first year but with the help of Sam and so many others I have learned that most of my luck in the past was due to lack of knowledge on what i was doing, last year was excellent for me but I know of many whom did not catch anything, and this year they are the ones catching. You can say what you want, But AI is one of the best fishing spots on the atlantic coast right up there next to the outer banks. My offer will stand for taking you out, just ask for help with say bait or gas as a fair trade off. you cant give up just because of some bad luck. Maybe us fishin together may change both our luck.:icon_pidu:

I just found out that this guy committed suicide two years ago. I guess you never know...