5 posts in this topic

Ok, so I've mentioned going to costa rica on my honeymoon already. I want to do some light tackle inshore fishing while I'm there from the shore, rocks or a Yak (resort has free to use yaks at the beach) I want a combo that will hold up, but don't want to spend too much money on it so I don't cry if its lost, stolen or broken while at the resort. So, maybe $100 or so. I also want it to be able to cast a variety of lures and bait with it. Anyone Have suggestions what to get? Oh, and due to baggage issues, I'm thinking nothing over 7' and it must be at least 2 piece.

ok, so I did some research and Found a Tsunami 7' 3piece travel rod with soft case. The rod sections measure 29 1/2" The case measures 32 1/4" which will fit perfectly in my suitcase. Now the rod is $68 from harlee rods. Now I just need to match a reel to it. Remember, I want something that isn't too expensive....I can get an Abu 6100 C4 reel for less than $100 from dicks. I know they aren't the best, but they can be upgraded (after I got back of course) to make them a good reel right? Input anyone?

Edited by fish-aholic
typo

Too big, plus I want to take a casting reel. I want something that I can sling metal and plugs for all day with as well as throw some live bait if I can find it.

ok, so it showed up Sat....A beautiful Blue and Gold Abu 6600C4. I did some research and apparently this model already has the carbon matrix drag washers. All I had laying around the house was 20# Green Hi-Vis Ande so I spooled it up, I was planning on casting a 2oz lead until I got to my truck to grab a rod and forgot I unloaded absolutely everything at mom & dad's over the weekend....Oh well....I'll swing out and grab a rod to try it out this week. Hopefully the reel will get tried out on Friday when I haul graham's boat over to the campsite for the winter.....I plan on getting at least a couple hours of fishing in fri afternoon before I head home......