Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
esoxangler

How Do You Load The Line On Your Conventional Reels?

5 posts in this topic

I have this book in which it says to avoid neatness when retrieving line. You want to use sweeping coils instead of neat, parallel rows. By using sweeping coils you avoid the problem of line digging into the spool on a backlash AND it takes fewer revolutions of the spool to throw out an equal amount of line.

Anyone else do this? It does seem to help me.

Me and Sam had this exact same discussion yesterday,,,I used to be neat and do nice even parallel loops but found the exact problem you described, not so much backlashes but the line would dig into the spool of line, resulting in a slower spool spin and decrease in distance,,,I now do semi sweeping coils,,,I am still neat about the coil wraps and make sure the line is evenly spooled.

That is too funny. Thanks for the confirmation, Esox. :-)

I'm looking foward to seeing how others cast the conventionals. I am usually fishing alone, so I can't really see how it should be done. I think I got the right idea, but am not happy with the distance yet. Still learning.

Makes sense. Hate being neat. The only things that should be neat is your reel bearings, your bait and the ice around it and your knots. Everything else is overrated lol.