24 posts in this topic

Been a frustrating year plus with regards to catching a big red for me. Had great luck with the pups and no complaint there, but didn’t sniff a big one last year and so far this year nothing as well. Don’t really know the reason, whether it be conditions, bait, water temps, sand replenishment, etc, but I just can’t see to get the stars aligned.

Got some info that starting Friday night some big reds were landed and even more on Saturday night, so my hopes went up again just as I thought drum season was coming to a close with a big goose egg for me again.

Noncaster and I decided to go back to our hole last night with Bucket and company going a touch further south than they have before and we could play phone tag between us to see what was happening.

Didn’t have any fresh bait, but bloodworms and tossed those out immediately. Nothing for the first few minutes so I baited up my CTS and 525 Mag with 8oz and a mullet head with half a body and tossed her out about 75 yards into a nice looking hole with an incoming tide. Tossed out my bluefish rod next hoping to score a few fresh blues for bait and Noncaster did the same.

As I am setting the hook and reeling in a small blue, I look over to my left; see my rod tip bounce, then start screaming and bending over. Could this be? Immediately I set the bluefish rod down, yelled at Noncaster to reel it in and dart over to my rod. Pick it up out of the spike, tighten the drag and slowly give some pressure and it’s on. Brand new line and shock leader on the reel, so I felt confident, but kept thinking “Please don’t fail me now!”.

For about the first five to ten minutes, I didn’t see the fish at all, but did not feel like a biter. Finally, she shows herself on the crest of a wave and Noncaster says “You lucky $^*%&”. After about ten more minutes, I get the fish up close and Noncaster goes into the wash to help assist if needed. Just as the fish begins to beach herself, a huge wave from no where slams Noncaster from behind and down he goes, getting completely dunked trying to help me out. As if that wasn’t bad enough, my line goes slack and the fish came unbuttoned while I am watching Noncaster come up from the depths of the wash.

At this time, I was about ready to lose the fish, so I toss my rod and reel up the beach a touch and jump onto the fish as the next wave comes up the beach and soaks my 525 Mag. Didn’t matter to me, as I was able to still pounce on my fish and bring her to the beach with my catlike reflexes!

Did a quick measure on the beach using my boots and estimated her at about 49” and this fish had the biggest shoulders of any red I have ever caught. Took a quick photo (thanks to the other guys who grabbed my camera), and took her back out into the wash for a nice release. Nothing like a drum fight, then watching them slowly paddle back out into the depths for another day. Whew, Skunk no more! Went grabbed my tape measure after I made a few phone calls and remeasured where I had marked her on the beach and turns out it was a 52” fish, not a 49”, which is my personal best!

100_1166-1.jpg

Now, Noncaster is completely drenched, so he goes home for a quick change and I begin to bail some spot and small blues while he is gone. When he comes back the sun is beginning to set and he get’s rebaited and throws out as well.

We crack a cold one and have a few sips and I say to him “Do you think we will be able to hear your rod all the way down on the end if it goes off?” Not 3 minutes after saying that, his saltiest starts to scream, so the answer was yes!

Noncaster begins his battle, but his fish has no thoughts at all of coming in period. Just as Noncaster gets him in the first trough, the fish says see ya and starts peeling drag again going all the way back out. Not knowing if he has landed a big biter or a drum, I hold back a touch, till I finally see it’s a nice drum. After about ten more minutes and 20 minutes fight going up and down the beach, Noncaster has his drum as well.

Measured out his goes 50” and was big and fat! Photo taken then off he goes back out into the ocean for another day. Felt like crap when Noncaster got dunked, so I was more than happy when he got his as well.

100_1168-1.jpg

100_1171-1.jpg

Talked to Bucket down the way and I know they had some luck! Now I can rest a bit more easily having one under my belt!

Headed back out later today for another session, possibly my last before I switch over to specks then stripers!

Great report and nice pictures. They are some healthy looking reds!

Beautiful fish, Steve! I think you guys will be into them for a while yet. :) Congrats! :hello:

Great story and promoted to the front page.

Edited by Sam

That is one BIG red!...nice catchin:icon_thumleft:

Good to see yall got the big drum skunk off the rod last night. Way to go Noncaster on taking one for the drum landing team. Chapa I should have mentioned to you the unexpected surf conditions there as I got taken down there two years ago. Had my legs taken out from under me standing in calf deep water from out of nowhere as well :dontknow:

And we went 3-4 south of you all with just slightly smaller size fish 49", 46", & a 25" :icon_thumright:

drum fever `bucket

Congrats Gentlemen!

Nice looking fish. Glad to see the monkey off your back Steve.

I'm still on the hunt.

Hopefully there's one out there with my name on it.

Good to see yall got the big drum skunk off the rod last night. Way to go Noncaster on taking one for the drum landing team. Chapa I should have mentioned to you the unexpected surf conditions there as I got taken down there two years ago. Had my legs taken out from under me standing in calf deep water from out of nowhere as well :dontknow:

And we went 3-4 south of you all with just slightly smaller size fish 49", 46", & a 25" :icon_thumright:

drum fever `bucket

Yeah I was going to tell the 8ft rouge wave story:bs: but I'm sure it hit me around the ankles. All I could think about when I was rolling around in the wash was that Steve was gonna lose his drum on account of me going for a swim.

sweet work guys. so far i'm 0 for 2. had 2 roll off in the wash last weekend but i'm just getting started down south

Nice work gentlemen,and to think I drove to NC to get mine.

Back at it tonight with Noncaster, but all we got was torn up by the blues.

Bucket and crew didn't experience what we had down further south than us and got a few more!

nice!!!

maybe next yr i'll be able to wrap a rod and join ya guys

To add insult to injury for ya Al, I hooked up your AC bud Kenny from Richmond with a 47" big red on my AFAW-Saltist combo. He almost left 5 minutes to early after being out there all day. Fresh spot heads were the ticket tonight :icon_rr:

And yes I finally joined the 50" big red club tonight. Better yet was helping hook Frankie up with his first big drum 45" and that everyone got one with Uncle Dougie (also from Richmond) rounding it out tonight scoring a 46" ~ Christmas come early :icon_santa:

Even got good pictures too as I brought my wife's digital vs my camera phone which cannot take a pic in the dark arrggghhh :icon_pirat:

Drum Fever `bucket

Great report and nice pictures. They are some healthy looking reds!

Darryl.....so your the guy who gave the red drum report at the NAC meeting last night, I thought I knew you !

No red drum report from me last night! You, on the other hand, gave several reports.

I sat in quietly....thay asked me if I had caught any fish lately......does a bear crap in nthe woods ?

Hey rattler man ! LONG LONG time no see buddy ! I hear you backed out on yet ANOTHER fishig trip for TODAY......some things never change do they......pretty soon Mary Jo will stop asking you too......she'll learn !

You fished yet from the beach in 2008 ? Didnt think so.

To add insult to injury for ya Al, I hooked up your AC bud Kenny from Richmond with a 47" big red on my AFAW-Saltist combo. He almost left 5 minutes to early after being out there all day. Fresh spot heads were the ticket tonight :icon_rr:

And yes I finally joined the 50" big red club tonight. Better yet was helping hook Frankie up with his first big drum 45" and that everyone got one with Uncle Dougie (also from Richmond) rounding it out tonight scoring a 46" ~ Christmas come early :icon_santa:

Even got good pictures too as I brought my wife's digital vs my camera phone which cannot take a pic in the dark arrggghhh :icon_pirat:

Drum Fever `bucket

the story of my life....zig instead of zag....day to early or a day late...

My stars will align som how...

Will hack at it again this weekend.

fished yesterday...didn't catch much, but it was great to be out on the water in a nice boat with a great captin(RORY)...I fish when I can.