18 posts in this topic

The cooler weather is here and the fish know it!

Cooler mornings and evenings have been great for extended use of topwater lures. The LM and SM Bass are tearing them up! During the mid-day, you may have to reach into your bag of tricks with something that sinks, but the fish are on the move pretty much all day.

On the lakes, Crappie have been eating up the tubes, jigs and small minnows. You may have to get a little deeper near structure but they are more active and the catch is good!

Generally speaking, right now is a great time to hit the local puddle for some excellent fall action.

What are YOU waiting for?

A buddy and I went out triadelphia resevoir in his bass boat. Just for a few hours ....I hit the bass slow rolling a crankbait over grass the crappies and w/perch were hit slow trolling crappie jigs in 15 - 20 ft of water

IMG_0912.jpg.aa82d1cebdc0bd2a11f78dba287

Edited by Dre'

no wander its so hard to catch diecent sized fish in maryland especialy in the local ponds ,lakes , and reseviors when people keep so many smaller fish like that . you should be ashamed . that bass couldnt possibly be more than 12''to13'' .the only time i would ever keep crappie or perch that small would be for bait to catck catfish or rockfish and it would only be 2or3 of each to catch 30to60lb fish.:angry4: you cant possibly be proud of that catch

Hahaha The bass was more like 15-16 "and legal my buddy asked for [he eats bass] ....Matter of facts all the fish in this pic are legal:happy5:

No i'm not ashamed:happy7::happy6:

the only time i would ever keep crappie or perch that small would be for bait to catck catfish or rockfish

I heard you can't us gamefish for bait [ crappies]:BangHead:

My buddy hit a lil bad luck all he wanted to do was take somthing home for him and his boy if that's all right with you

As long as they are all legal and going to be ate, I see no problems with keeping those fish!

Congrats on the catch!

The difference between legal and worth keeping is all respective to those that caught them. For example, a Bluefish may legally be kept if 8". I would never consider that size worth keeping, just not enough meat to warrant the hassle of cleaning. At least to ME...

I do not keep any freshies or tidal fish, no matter the size. Again, personal preference.

Hopefully, DNR is doing what they are paid to do and keep track of our kid's resources and place size and creel limits where applicable.

Yeah, I know, a pipe dream.....

That 's a very good point ....I don't keep freshwater fish either well maybe a nice size walleye

Hahaha The bass was more like 15-16 "and legal my buddy asked for [he eats bass] ....Matter of facts all the fish in this pic are legal:happy5:

No i'm not ashamed:happy7::happy6:

I heard you can't us gamefish for bait [ crappies]:BangHead:

My buddy hit a lil bad luck all he wanted to do was take somthing home for him and his boy if that's all right with you

Nothing wrong with that. I guess i just get upset when i see small fish being kept or any fish in larger numbers . unlike saltwater(AI) im used to cathing larger fish in freshwater. as far as game fish being used for bait crappie n bluegill are always being used for bait in liberty ,the potomac ,and even conowingo . perch are even used in the bay. infact have even been stoped by the game warden in the potomac while useing them and nothing was said . its the best thing to use to catch those 30 to 50 pound cats and rock in the reseviors. sorry didnt mean to offend . was just on the potomac last sunday lost 1 cat that i could'nt even pull up off the bottom caught 3 1/2lb bass n lost 1 about 8lbs

That 's a very good point ....I don't keep freshwater fish either well maybe a nice size walleye

if you want to catch nice walleye you should try the upper potomac at the right times i find them wading the river in large schools 24'' to 30'' range . hard to catch though

Great catches in my opinion. I love fresh perch to eat and if you are going to keep a freshwater fish, I would much rather see you eat it than use it for bait.

I understand your anger there's alot of guys who waste there catch.

In this case my buddy asked if he can keep the bass I said sure

I think I have a decent track record for c/r

There's alot of guys fishing the nico bridge liveling small live crappies until the MAN [dnr] shows up ...These same guys your see walk away from there rods and go to there cars until the MAN leaves simply b/c it's aganist the law to use game fish for bait

It's no different than fishing for crappies w/ lmb fry for bait

There some nice eye's around lock 7..I normally start chasing these guys around the end of Nov

again I understand your anger ...thanks for the feedback:happy8:

Edited by Dre'

:argue: well you are entitled to your opinion just as i am but ill have to go to the other message i sent you , it fits here to . IGUESS YOU CONDEM EVERY OTHER FISHERMAN WHO LIVE LINES PERCH SPOT OR ANY OTTHER COMMONLY USED FISH FOR BAIT IN EITHER FRESH OR SALT WATER. WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS ON THIS FORUM THAT GAVE ME TIPS OF USENG SMALL BLUES FOR BAIT TO HELP HOLD OFF THIER OWN KIND FROM STIPING BAIT FROM THE HOOK ON AI. I GUESS THATS OK BECAUSE THOSE ARE POEPLE YOU COMMONLY FISH WITH OR ARE FRIENDS OF YOURS. THAT MUST MAKE IT OK RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS MESSAGE IS DIRECTED TO SAM NOONE ELSE Edited by don.themason

:argue: well you are entitled to your opinion just as i am but ill have to go to the other message i sent you , it fits here to . IGUESS YOU CONDEM EVERY OTHER FISHERMAN WHO LIVE LINES PERCH SPOT OR ANY OTTHER COMMONLY USED FISH FOR BAIT IN EITHER FRESH OR SALT WATER. WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS ON THIS FORUM THAT GAVE ME TIPS OF USENG SMALL BLUES FOR BAIT TO HELP HOLD OFF THIER OWN KIND FROM STIPING BAIT FROM THE HOOK ON AI. I GUESS THATS OK BECAUSE THOSE ARE POEPLE YOU COMMONLY FISH WITH OR ARE FRIENDS OF YOURS. THAT MUST MAKE IT OK RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS MESSAGE IS DIRECTED TO SAM NOONE ELSE
Wow, you are seriously angry, aren't you? I guess I would be too after fishing for 17 years and still holding on to the skunk.:confused3:

I'm just saying I think you should "match the hatch". I don't see anything wrong with using fresh baitfish which are caught in the same waters as the type of larger fish you are targeting. In fact, it's probably the best bait you can use.

Now, taking a fresh water fish (white perch for example) to a habitat where it normally doesn't live (the surf) and using it for bait is probably more of a waste of a good eating fish.

Using a freshwater pan fish to target bigger freshwater fish sounds good to me, it's just not my type of fishing. (too close to the salt)

Actually, that gave me a good idea, instead of buying Shiners.

Live-line some of the Sunnies and Blue Gills for something a bit bigger.

But then again, I guess there aren't very big ones in the ponds I visit.

I think someone needs their bottle and blanket....:binkybaby:

that is exactly what i do sam . i catch these fish on smaller fish caught in the same body of water. if you all wouldnt assume things then all this wouldnt have startad in the first place.

After all if you all look in that little hand book your given when you buy your license, it says,it is un lawful to introduce any fish species EXCEPT bluegill,goldenshinner,fathead minnow,channel cat,and baitfish on a hook for the purpose of angling without written approval. nothing is said any where about using any smallerfish for bait in the same body of water it was caught to catch larger fish. i dont take fish out of thier normal habitat (such as fresh to salt, or the opp.) SO SAM maybe you need the help not me. never assume you not only make an ASS out of U but you also make an ass out of ME.

ASS U ME

TO every one else in this forum i apoligize for my argueing with sam . to sam you owe me the apology! and thats the only thing im owed

I was referring to using different fish for bait in different habitats. I am not assuming or judging anyone regarding this topic, just adding a related comment into this discussion.

Don, I think YOU owe Dre' an apology for "assuming" he was keeping undersized fish. You didn't exactly handle it like a gentlemen either. Instead of flaming him in a public forum, a polite PM asking the sizes would have been proper.

Different ppl keep different species for many reasons. Whether it legally be for bait of legally kept for consumption, it's their choice.

I see nothing wrong with keeping about a dozen pan-sized freshies for the table, that's about what it takes for a small family meal.

Instead of critizing ppl, offer help and accept it graciously.

All is good, just kick back and have fun, it takes time to catch!