6 posts in this topic

Does anyone have or know where I can pick up some crab pots? I don't want to spend too much on them as they will be left down at the camper.

pots....at least that is what I've always called them. To tie off to a dock or put a buoy on and put out in the water....I want to be able to place pots out when I'm down at the camper on the river and get some nice keepers to steam up...

Unless you own waterfront property you can't use POTs in maryland waters. You might want to check VA laws about POTS. I know in MD putting pots in rivers on a buoy is illegal, even for the comms. The only place they are allowed to pot is the bay proper.

What you can use are traps, these are those manually activated squares or pyramids that you throw into the water and when you pull them up the side come up and trap the crab in the box.

John Henry's bait and tackle on 611 in ocean city has a variety of crab pots. He is a local crabber that makes his own pots.

Jeff, if you don't have waterfront, or a friend with waterfront that maintains active control (read: possession) of the "containers", then no way. I'm pretty sure that applies to "most" states, without looking at the regs.

As Jim said, the cheesy little flip-side type are fine when they are with you. But, then again, if out of state, check regs to make sure you are allowed.