12 posts in this topic

Me and my fishing partner were out Friday night 11:00 until 11:00 am...and Saturday night 9:30 unitl 3:00 this past weekend...only one small sandbar.

Question....when I drove on Friday night, the beach was closed 2 clicks past the bullpen...so when I drove by fieshermen, I put on my cow lights, and put my headlamp with red light out the window to see where I was going...very slowly. I noticed I was the only driver to do this however....and it could have been becasue the trucks were parked high on the beach because of the tide and there was only about 10' of room ....but no-one else turned their lights off when passing by. I know we've had the "light etiquette" thread before...and the drum tourney was going on...what say you?:confused:

I was in that tournament and I was one of the guys whom was blinded several times by these lights, not to mention one guy who parked next to me was shining his lights over the water for over an hour to try and read the water and then had his lights hitting me right in the face for another hour while he set up. I was highly upset but could not move due to a lack of better spots at the time, I wanted to say something to him but figure i would be the better man and bite my tongue in front of his wife and kids.

Some people just don't know better, especially at night. hopefully with threads like this the will know and understand why at night if your not all the way up at the tracks by the dune line you should slow down and try and keep your lights off the surf. For one nobody likes to get blinded by lights wile sitting on the beach and there are some fish that most, not all think that the light hitting the water will keep them away. When it comes right down to it just use common sense and respect your other fishermen on the beach, most times if this is done you will end up meeting more people and having a better time..

Thats what I thought. It seems to me, if your gonna fish for 12 hours or so, driving 30 miles an hour at night with your lights glaring down the beach isn't going to make much difference, maybe 1 minute or so of saved time.

Whats even scarier for me, is that Friday night about 2:00 a.m., a young boy (about 6 yrs), wandered up to my truck yelling "here I am guys"....apparently he had woken up in his dads truck down the beach, gotten out, and wandered down the beach. Maybe he was sleepwalking, but his dad showed up about 5 minutes later. Very easily could have walked out into the path of a speeding vehicle.

When I drive the beach at night I always have my headlights on traveling parallel to the ocean. If there are other people around when I turn into my spot I switch to my parking lights.

Well Jim, it seems like you are one of the culprits. R U saying your gonna keep on blinding people in blatent disregard...or are you going to be considerate and shut your lights down when you pass other fishermen??:dontknow:

Well Jim, it seems like you are one of the culprits. R U saying your gonna keep on blinding people in blatent disregard...or are you going to be considerate and shut your lights down when you pass other fishermen??:dontknow:

Sorry, I put hitting something / someone with my truck before blatently blinding people. Safety before convenience. Anyone who drive up and down the beach with no lights on is a fool and is an accident waiting to happen, esp if you are driving in 2 mph up the beach because you can't see, you are a road hazard!

First, you should be driving as high as possible on the beach, nearest the posted line. Just follow highest the 2-trak. Being that high parallel to the beach doesn't cause a problem.

To drive the beach at night without lights is asking for big time trouble. Especially after a storm or higher tide. The trash that washes up is chock full of nails. It would difficult if not impossible to see the pending disaster before you hit it. How well do you think you can see a washed up barrel, or decaying black whale?

Flat tires are common when driving the beach often at night after the higher tides. I choose to not hit debris and leave my lights on until turning toward others.

When conditions are so high that you only have 10' of drivable area, I'd think twice about passing through. Perhaps put someone out front with a flashlight and dim to parking lights.

First, you should be driving as high as possible on the beach, nearest the posted line. Just follow highest the 2-trak. Being that high parallel to the beach doesn't cause a problem.

To drive the beach at night without lights is asking for big time trouble. Especially after a storm or higher tide. The trash that washes up is chock full of nails. It would difficult if not impossible to see the pending disaster before you hit it. How well do you think you can see a washed up barrel, or decaying black whale?

Flat tires are common when driving the beach often at night after the higher tides. I choose to not hit debris and leave my lights on until turning toward others.

When conditions are so high that you only have 10' of drivable area, I'd think twice about passing through. Perhaps put someone out front with a flashlight and dim to parking lights.

That is exactly my point Steve! I think Trimlc didn't notice that I said I always use my light WHEN DRIVING PARALLEL TO THE OCEAN, ie... when in the tracks up near the markers.

Hey Trimlc, I see where you are coming from.....A few weeks ago I was driving down the beach late...parallel to the water....I can't remember how far down I was, but there were quite a few vehicles parked pretty close to the commonly used "driveway" if you will......I could see that high tide did not warrent the RV's to get any closer to the water, and the fisherman were fishing fairly close to their vehicles....I'm not sure, but maybe the beach got narrower or the tide was just super high in that area....or maybe it was both...Either way, I used my "cow" lights when approaching and passing by out of respect to the fisherman... and I would hope the same would be reciprocated to me if I was the one fishing.....that seems like the point you were making.....You didn't drive down the beach with your lights off, crawling 2 miles an hour recklessly trying to cause an accident, you just dimmed them when you were passing a narrow stretch of beach with fisherman very close by who had lines in the water.......other wise, your lights were on while driving in the normal, far from the waters edge, commonly used "driveway" area parallel to the water ......??? Is that what I'm reading ??? I don't see any issues here....

When the yahoos hit the water with their headlights, especially for a long periond of time, it makes my blood boil.....

Just my 2 cents.

Stan

Edited by sbm111

What are these "cow" lights that everyone is talking about?

Its also an rare occurrence that people are pushed up so high they are almost sitting in the "roadway".

I don't know how much night driving you are doing on the beach, but its extremely hard to see other fisherman on the beach until your right on top of them, esp if there is a mist in the air. Have you ever tried meeting someone on the beach after dark? its almost next to impossible to find them, even if you know generally where they are.

that being said I do agree with your point that you should do your best to not point your lights directly at someone on the beach, I never disputed that.

cow lights = parking lights/fog lights.........the orange/yellow ones..

Trust me Jim......that night the RV's were easily 8-10 feet or less from me on my left side as I was creeping by.....and I had little to no room to my right..........Probablly a rare occurrance, but that's how it was...and probably at least half a dozen RV's were like that on this particular stretch or beach......mind you, these guys were fishing closly to their rv's, with lines in the water.........

99% of the time I'm night driving, either going there by myself or with a buddy or two in my truck....and if i'm meeting someone there, they call me on my cell and give me a mile marker. Once we enter the sand, I trip the odometer and start looking closly when we're in the general vicinity......it is a pain though when it's foggy, I can't argue that......Thank goodness for glow sticks...

Stan