36 posts in this topic

What are your general experiences?

I've done it a few times, you know the story...

Blow pops up and I push a trip back a couple days

Wind settles down and I fish like a maniac for a few days straight and get skunked.

Fish show up a day or two after I leave...go back and catch some fish.

So in my experience, not only does a good blow shut down the fishing right then and there but also clears out the surf zone for a few days and it takes a while for things to settle back in.

Not unlike this weekend, Blew like hell Fri and Sat, many skunks around...fish caught late Sun and many fish caught Mon. Fri and Sat was a minor blow so the recovery timetable was shortened.

I've experienced and seen it a few times now, just want to know your thoughts. Using my logic, it would say that fish may be hard to come by until early next week.

I agree, I get zilch during a hard blow too.

Perhaps the bottom gets so churned up the bait and predators move off a bit. Like the Shark study down in FL last year (year before?); a bunch were tagged with transmitters and listening stations were set up in a bay-like area. Before the big storm hit, every one of them left for deeper water and returned about 3 days after the blow.

I've been on both sides of the fence.

The times I didn't go after a blow waiting for it to settle back down I regretted it. I know several people who swear by it!

After Hanna, I went the day after and smoked some blues and pups.

I think it depends on several other factors as well like water temps, wind direction, bait and did weed get tossed in, etc.

I sit here now during the 2 weeks where drum traditionally show in numbers and scratch my head saying "if this blow don't go will the drum even show?". I sure hope it let's down this weekend and gives us a few days next week or these fish may be by us before we know it. :BangHead::cussing:

I don't know how this relates to salt water fishing with tides and such, but I grew up trout fishing small streams in PA. Right after a blow I used to NAIL the fish. A lot of people in PA complained they never caught fish after a storm, well almost everytime I NAILED them, I used to hope for storms like we pray for East wind here on the ocean front.

Now what people say about not catching those trout is true if they didn't alter there methods and fished just like it was another day. You had to find the deep holes and undercuts in the banks and all the fish where stacked there just waiting for something to eat to float down the stream. You needed to use bigger baits than normal and alter how you presented the bait with trial and error. Those fish always fed hard right after a blow, and on that note right before the blow as well, even as the first rain drops would be falling the trout bite picked up until the water started getting murky.

Like I said before, not sure how well this relates to saltwater fish with tides and open ocean deep water as shelter involved, but maybe sometimes just altering your method might yield some results. Now if the fish leave the surf and head out to the deep blue, obviously nothing you do can help, but if they are just hanging out and not reacting to your normal fishing style. It can be something as simple as putting a float on your bait.

When conditions aren't normal and you aren't catching anything but a cold, maybe its time to experiment and try crazy stuff that normally wouldn't make sense. Even if you don't catch anything you'll still have fun trying and might even teach yourself something that you can use at a later date!

I was specifically talking surf fishing, not sure how crazy you can get. Agree that moving to the back with different fishing tactics is the way to catch some fish.

I've become quite a snob and only want to catch big feesh with a cast off the beach.

it really depends on your definition of hard and luck

my best day ever was 5 stripers while tossing 2 10oz weights tied on the same rig. The wind was gusting 30kts but the water was crystal clear and the surf was full of whitewater.

That wind is different then what I'm referencing here. I guess I should have clarified. By blow I mean a situation that we are faced with currently. 2-3 days of honking 30+kt winds huge surf and beach devastation. never had any luck on that before, during, or after. Some people have.

Im tired of workn sitting in the house need to get out and do sum feeshing I know the wind is suppose to blow hard wed nite just want get out and try it just wanted to know your thots on it thanx.:brave:

ANZ650-232215-

COASTAL WATERS FROM FENWICK ISLAND DE TO CHINCOTEAGUE VA OUT 20 NM-

1007 AM EDT TUE SEP 23 2008

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT

GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY

AFTERNOON

THIS AFTERNOON

NE WINDS 25 KT WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 KT. SEAS 8 TO

10 FT WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 9 SECONDS.

TONIGHT

NE WINDS 25 KT WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 35 KT. SEAS 9 TO 11

FT.

WED

NE WINDS 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 40 KT. SEAS 10 TO

12 FT...BUILDING TO 12 TO 14 FT IN THE AFTERNOON.

WED NIGHT

NE WINDS 30 TO 35 KT WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 45 KT. SEAS

12 TO 14 FT. A CHANCE OF RAIN AFTER MIDNIGHT.

THU

NE WINDS 25 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 40 KT. SEAS 11 TO

13 FT. RAIN LIKELY.

THU NIGHT

NE WINDS 20 TO 25 KT WITH GUSTS TO AROUND 30 KT. SEAS 8 TO

10 FT. RAIN LIKELY.

FRI

N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 7 TO 9 FT. RAIN LIKELY... THEN A

CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SAT

N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...DIMINISHING TO 10 TO 15 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.

SEAS 6 TO 7 FT...SUBSIDING TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

Whatever the weather, I'm fishing this tournament. The good thing is, everyone has to deal with it and it makes landing that winning fish that much more challenging! I have rain gear, warm clothes, hot coffee, plenty of lead and a dry jeep to climb into. I can't wait... :icon_rambo:

I'd like to fish before a "big" blow (onshore) or just when it starts. For whatever reason, seems like there are fish to be caught. There have been 2 very good drum bites that have happened this season, both seemed to be before the blow...now I am talking about blows that you just can't fish.

I really think things need to settle down after a blow, a day or two before a bite returns. Just my opinion and from experience.

Chip, I would forget about fising wed or even thurs...at least the beachfront...things, hopefully will improve Friday.

Sam...catchem dude! May come out to visit without the rods. Sam, your a hard fishermen...blowing hard last night and kept saying, "tides coming in, its gonna happen". Meanwhile we are throwing 14's and the blow keeps getiing harder...leftem still fishing.

Edited by Coop

Sam...catchem dude! May come out to visit without the rods. Sam, your a hard fishermen...blowing hard last night and kept saying, "tides coming in, its gonna happen". Meanwhile we are throwing 14's and the blow keeps getiing harder...leftem still fishing.

we share the same affliction...makes you do some crazy things...

Looks like it's time to take a bait out in the yak. :D <NOT!>

I wouldn't be surprised if the blow was harder that predicted.

Some ppl make the honk out there to enjoy everything about the beach. Kick back, toss bait, enjoy the fire, etc. Cold, wet and miserable aren't part of their equation.

Others don't care about the conditions and would fish in a hypercane if they could. For those types, it's all about the challenge of landing something nice in terrible conditions.

Two very distinct types of ppl. Just depends what slot you fit into.

But it's all good, whatever floats your cork!

Others don't care about the conditions and would fish in a hypercane if they could. For those types, it's all about the challenge of landing something nice in terrible conditions.

Drum Fever at it's finest!:blob8:

we share the same affliction...makes you do some crazy things...
Yes, I've been told by many members of my family that I have a screw loose.

If you know me outside the fishing world, I can't stand still, have a hard time in social situations, can't stand the same channel on TV, surf the internet like a tidal wave, yet I can sit on that sand watching 3 rods for 55+ hours like some kind of fool.

My dad is one of the toughest men I have ever met and he told me something one COLD November evening around 3am on Assateague. He said, "Sam, I truly think you've gone mad..." All I could do was laugh.:icon_wink:

Well guys it may be on again. Winds don't look too bad really on Friday. Saturday and Sunday may not be any problem.

Bait may be a problem.

Since I have yet to catch a drum I don't have the fever......maybe I can catch the fever this weekend!

Yes, I've been told by many members of my family that I have a screw loose.

If you know me outside the fishing world, I can't stand still, have a hard time in social situations, can't stand the same channel on TV, surf the internet like a tidal wave, yet I can sit on that sand watching 3 rods for 55+ hours like some kind of fool.

My dad is one of the toughest men I have ever met and he told me something one COLD November evening around 3am on Assateague. He said, "Sam, I truly think you've gone mad..." All I could do was laugh.:icon_wink:

Sam, I am right there with ya, for example last year when you called and asked if I was goin out even though it was cold and pouring down rain all day long, well we did not catch much but we were in the wind and rain lookin like fools under the tarp draped between our trucks.

Can't do it any longer sit around tryn to find sumthing to do going to go feeshing this eve at A.I. I know what your thinkn this guy stupid I want that drum bad if they are still around .:brave::icon_rambo:

Can't do it any longer sit around tryn to find sumthing to do going to go feeshing this eve at A.I. I know what your thinkn this guy stupid I want that drum bad if they are still around .:brave::icon_rambo:

bad idea dude, they probably have the OSV shut down...call ahead or plan to walk over and bring your 24oz weights.

Yeah, winds will be approaching 50 mph.

If you really find the need to go, wear some warm clothes and definitely a rain suit. That blow will keep you soaked.

Be sure to let us have your opinion of fishing during a blow!

Last time I saw the weather they 20 to 25 mph winds didn't know it suppose to be 50 mph thanks for the advice Ben I remember I think it was in 2004 the red drum tournament in OBX it was the same type of conditions for that tournament too there was a tropical depr off the coast needed 15 oz to hold .:BangHead: