30 posts in this topic

What is a good baitcaster for the surf?...plan on putting it on a BPS Ocean master or cape point rod in the 11-12 foot range. I have looked around but havnt found much that is big enough for the surf.

The most popular is the Penn 525 mag. I use the Tica Gemini GN300. The 525 doesn't have a levelwind, so you need to know how to use one.

Do you know any websites where i can look for some or look around at some different models? How big are they, line capacity and such?

525 mags, great reels,,,15lb line 250 yds,,,I use 17lb suffix and get darn close to 250 yds of line on the reel,,,smallish reel but very comfortable to use when casting

http://www.pennreels.com/

Is there any models that are levelwind??? what about one of the bigger ( 7000 ) series abu garcias

Abus are great reels,,,IMHO, the levelwind could be a problem when throwing due to the shock leader knot getting hung up on the level wind.

The Tica Gemini is a level wind, I didn't use a shock leader, I spooled it with 20# Sufix Superior, 420 Yards of 17#, 310 Yards of 20# and 240 yards of 25#.

I have a couple of penn squidders. I am looking foward to the fling to see what kind of gear everyone has.

Still trying to get the hang of the squidders!

The one I use is the Diawa 30 SHV (now the SHA). Even though the penn 525 will throw farther I would still go with the diawa because it has a clicker that's worth something. The Diawa's have the loudest clickers that I know of that you can use in the surf. Also, it is a lot more user friendly and low maintainance. The SHA series comes in 4 sizes (20, 30, 40, 50) with the 30 being just about perfect for me with 295 yards of 20 lb. test. I think the 20 holds 220 yards of 20 lb. test. Another thing I like about the reel is that in freespool the spool disengages from the shaft, like a TOTAL freespool. It comes with 2 sets of casting brakes, red for slower and white for faster. Trust me you need them. I would go with the red brakes because it's much easier to cast and you can still cast it a long way. One downside is that it has a gearbox (penn 525 has it also) that gets in the way but you can learn to deal with it. I would spool it with 20 lb. suffix tritanium plus. With an Ocean Master rod you have a dam* nice combo. $120 at www.basspro.com

The one I use is the Diawa 30 SHV (now the SHA). Even though the penn 525 will throw farther I would still go with the diawa because it has a clicker that's worth something. The Diawa's have the loudest clickers that I know of that you can use in the surf. Also, it is a lot more user friendly and low maintainance. The SHA series comes in 4 sizes (20, 30, 40, 50) with the 30 being just about perfect for me with 295 yards of 20 lb. test. I think the 20 holds 220 yards of 20 lb. test. Another thing I like about the reel is that in freespool the spool disengages from the shaft, like a TOTAL freespool. It comes with 2 sets of casting brakes, red for slower and white for faster. Trust me you need them. I would go with the red brakes because it's much easier to cast and you can still cast it a long way. One downside is that it has a gearbox (penn 525 has it also) that gets in the way but you can learn to deal with it. I would spool it with 20 lb. suffix tritanium plus. With an Ocean Master rod you have a nice combo. $120 at www.basspro.com

That's the only thing that I don't care for with the penn,,,lack of a loud clicker and and I do wish it would hold a little bit more line, but if it did, it probably wouldn't be as comfortable of a reel due to the increase in reel size in relationship to the size of my hands,,,I think the 525 is the most comfortable reel around,,,no problem with the gear box and actually I find it one of the most user friendly reels,,,for some reason it gets a bad rap for being wild,,,with the setting set at slow and a couple extra mags from radio shack, which takes no more than a few minutes to install, it's one of the friendliest reels around.

Diawa slosh 30 all the way... by far the best clicker (has served as my alarm clock on more than one occassion :shock: ), better drag than the 525, better line capacity, casts almost as far, and is far more controllable. For me, the slosh's controllability, loud clicker, good line capacity, and reasonable price make it hard to beat for a surf casting reel. Have not tried the new SHA yet. Heard it is just as good, and even comes with a lower price tag...

The Diawa sure does have a loud clicker. That is one thing I wish mine had.

If you wanted to you could even take out the whole braking system in the Diawa and mag it. And you can keep the clicker when you do that contrary to a lot of peoples belief. That way you can adjust it to your skill level, the wind, and even adjust it in mid-air to get maximum distance. I would do mine but I am happy with it at least for now.

I just got back from casting a topwater muskie plug at my home lake with my new Daiwa SL30SH. :oops: I got some funny looks from people. The one I got from Harbor Tackle. :) The plug was undersized for the rod, but the reel casted really well! It does have two brakes in the package, does this mean that there are no brakes installed in the reel? Anyway I will be at AI working this combo out Mothers Day weekend. Can't wait! I really like the clicker and the large handle. Can't wait to fish with it.

I really like that reel. :-)

muskyangler... The sl30sh should have come with two sets of brakes--a larger, red set & a smaller, white set. I have the red brakes in mine because I need them in the typical windy conditions. If I remeber right, I don't think the reel came with either set installed, but I could be wrong. Glad to hear you like the reel... I'm sure you will love it even more when a biggun starts peeling line off of it :D

what do the differnet sets of brakes actually do?? which is better for what???

TJones,

THanks for the help. I haven't looked to see if the breaks are installed but there are red and white in the box.

well, I went to a shop just to kill time late morning and saw 2 daiwa 30's in the case,,,I had no intentions of buying them but temptation got the best of me and I went ahead and bought 2,,,I was going to wait and get Bev to get me 2 but I just couldnt resist,,,just what I need, more reels,,,look forward to tossing them.

They are the best for the $, no doubt. I Love the clickers.

I have been taking my slosh out to my local lake and practicing with it. Can't wait for Mothers Day Weekend!!!!! I will be out on the beach fishing. Don't care if there is a hurricane. :shock:

It's going to be a long one for me, I'm bringing some wood out with me for night fishing!

Phil, did you put the brakes in, or is it tame enough without the brakes?

Coop,

So far no brakes. I'm just trying to get a feel for it. I will be stepping up in the weight I throw. I may need the brakes then.

I am throwing a 2 ounce giant jackpot about 70 yards. Not very far but that plug spins like the devil on the long cast! I'm not really leaning into it yet. I can only throw topwater baits where I am, too many snags in the lake to throw lead. I am going to take it out on my boat and throw it over deep water with some lead this week and see how it goes. So far I'm very encouraged!

I was looking for a replacement for my 535gs and on a whim got 2 daiwas,,,well I treid out my new daiwa 30shv,,,very sweeeet,,,took them out mid afternoon and had several semi blow ups with out the brakes installed,,,decided to put the reds in to create a little more control and may change to the whites next but with the reds in, no problems at all.

I threw both my 525, 535 and 30shv and I swear I was unloading more line on the 30shv than the other 2,,,not sure why the 525 was coming up short but it seemed to me it was,,,very, very satisfied with distance :D and very smooth,,,I really like the line capacity which is similar to the 535 and much more than the 525,,,I think I could of gotten away with the 20shv, but I do like having the extra line and plan on casting one Daiwa from the surf in the summer for sharks,,,it's a very stout reel and looks good,,,another reason why I bought this reel is that I had problems with how high the 535 sat up from the rod,,,very uncomfortable for my thumb,,,the profile of the 30shv is far more comfortable than the 535, a definite plus but still isn't near as comfortable as the 525 but that is due to the increase in line capacity, a trade off that you have to expect with holding more line,,,the clicker is much louder than the 525 but not really any louder than the 535.

There is one thing I did not like about the daiwa,,,when reeling it in, there seems to be a considerable amount of rock,,,probably due to the fact that the handle sticks out far from the reel,,,it was a little bothersome.

Didnt test the drag, and hope sometime soon I can put that to the test, but everything I hear about the drag sytem, there shouldnt be anything to complain about,,,all in all, I really like the reel and should be perfect for weight and bait and cant wait to put it to the test in real surf conditions,,,I still love my 525's, but the Daiwas are just as good and for me, much better than the 535gs which is what I initially wanted to find a replacement for,,,cant wait to use them this week :D .