Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest flycaster

New to Virginia...places to Striper or Red/black Drum Fish Without a Boat?

4 posts in this topic

I live in Richmond and have recently moved up here from Charleston, SC. I don't have a boat, but am missing the saltwater...

Can anyone point me to some spots where I can fish without a boat within an hour drive or so? I have a small baby, so getting away long enough to drive all the way to va beach is tough, but are there any public places that are worth fishing further up in the bay?

Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated

I'm going small mouth fishing in the James this weekend, but it's just not the same...

Hate to say it, but you need to make the 2 hour ride to Va Beach!

An hour and a half will get you to Hampton/Newport News and there are a few limited spots there (Grandview Nature Preserve, James River Fishing Pier), right through the HRBT (Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel) will get you to Willoughby Spit or Ocean View Pier.

While I have never fished the York River, I believe there are a few places along Colonial Parkway as well.

Red Drum should be showing in force in the next two/three weeks so now is a great time to be down here fishing the beach at Sandbridge. After the Drum comes the specks and then stripers!

Hope I helped some, but feel free to shoot back if you need anything else!

Welcome aboard!

Dixie, Thanks for the info. Yeah, I was just looking online at the google satellite pictures of the York River (man, technology's cool). There seems to be a bunch of little jetties and rock piles under the bridge right there, I may give it a shot tomorrow since it's only an hour & the tide looks like it should be pretty good in the morning.

I'll let you know how it works out. If I come up with nothing, I'll be burning some miles down to VA beach!

Thanks for the info!

all depends on how bad you wanna go.....I live 3 miles from the OCEANFRONT......and I drive UP YOUR WAY to Catfish on the James River every week- EVERY WEEK .......1 1/2 hours up 460 to Hopewell or 64/295 to Deepbottom in Richmond.....hunker down and do it !

welcomegif-1.jpg