Sam

Assateague Island OSV STATUS

12 posts in this topic

I'm confused......the East wind has closed part of the island but in your signature you "Pray for East wind"? I'm a rookie (sort of) when it comes to fishing AI, so can you please explain this East wind theory and why it is good? Seems if you want to get South to the fence (which we all do this time of year), we should be hoping that part of the Island remains open and the wind is offshore no?

:dontknow::help::help::dontknow:

I'm confused......the East wind has closed part of the island but in your signature you "Pray for East wind"? I'm a rookie (sort of) when it comes to fishing AI, so can you please explain this East wind theory and why it is good? Seems if you want to get South to the fence (which we all do this time of year), we should be hoping that part of the Island remains open and the wind is offshore no?

:dontknow::help::help::dontknow:

East wind bring fish close into the shore line (thats the theory anyway). The East wind also keeps the bugs at bay.

It is very rare for the park service to close the OSV zone, so don't think that east wind means closed OSV.

East wind bring fish close into the shore line (thats the theory anyway). The East wind also keeps the bugs at bay.

It is very rare for the park service to close the OSV zone, so don't think that east wind means closed OSV.

Sweet, looks like a prolonged Eastery next week before turning Northeast. Sounds like a winner to me.

Anything I need to be particularly wary of during a prolonged East blow? Luckily it's inbetween moon phases.

Tight lines.

Steve

Sweet, looks like a prolonged Eastery next week before turning Northeast. Sounds like a winner to me.

Anything I need to be particularly wary of during a prolonged East blow? Luckily it's inbetween moon phases.

Tight lines.

Steve

Just watch the high tide and you'll be fine. Worst case is you will have to stay a bit longer than you wanted!

If you cast conventional reels you will have a bit more tendency to create birds nests with a strong east wind blowing in your face. You will have decreased casting distance with either a spinner or convo!

Anything I need to be particularly wary of during a prolonged East blow?

Yeah, more bites equals beer getting warm and flat....

DOHHH!!

Sammy, if ya can, keep us up to date with the closure?

East wind brings blows bait in. West wind blows bugs in...

sam, i just called the ranger station it is closed at 27.5 km now so the closure is moving north but will change with the tides tonight and tommarrow.

From Bev Fleming at Harbor Tackle:

Today (Wednesday) the Park Service has closed the beach up to the 26 km. marker.

As of 1pm, OSV zone closed entirely. Not a complete surprise, but just wanted to pass along.