7 posts in this topic

Well most of you know a few of us VA Boys are part of the VMRC Game fish tagging program. We tag 9 species of fish and release them, then each time someone recaptures and calls in the fish we get a sheet of paper in the mail telling us of where, when and how big the fish recaptured was.

I tagged quite a few reds back in the end of August at the pier on Naval Station Norfolk and released them back. Just proof that the reds are on the move, here are two recaptures that prove it:

1) On 8-30-08 I caught a 14" Red and released it. On 9-4-08, it was caught and released in Duck, NC. So in 5 days, that fish went from Norfolk, VA out of the bay and traveled down to NC.

2) On 8-30-08 I caught a 14" Red and released it. On 9-7-08, it was caught and released at Oregon Inlet, NC. So in a week that fish made it all the way down to the OBX.

Pretty cool stuff when you get tags back like this, not to mention you can tell when the fish are a moving!

We tag 10 species dude::

Fish targeted for tagging include red drum, black drum, cobia, flounder, speckled trout, black sea bass, tautog, spadefish, sheepshead, and gray triggerfish.

Well most of you know a few of us VA Boys are part of the VMRC Game fish tagging program. We tag 9 species of fish and release them, then each time someone recaptures and calls in the fish we get a sheet of paper in the mail telling us of where, when and how big the fish recaptured was.

I tagged quite a few reds back in the end of August at the pier on Naval Station Norfolk and released them back. Just proof that the reds are on the move, here are two recaptures that prove it:

1) On 8-30-08 I caught a 14" Red and released it. On 9-4-08, it was caught and released in Duck, NC. So in 5 days, that fish went from Norfolk, VA out of the bay and traveled down to NC.

2) On 8-30-08 I caught a 14" Red and released it. On 9-7-08, it was caught and released at Oregon Inlet, NC. So in a week that fish made it all the way down to the OBX.

Pretty cool stuff when you get tags back like this, not to mention you can tell when the fish are a moving!

cool to see the speed at which they will move

just goes to show you can miss a good run just by having to work a full week.

Steve,

Thanks for sharing the tagging information. I always like to hear where the fish go and how fast they move. Soemtimes it's pretty amazing!!!!

Our tagging program is open to the public after a small class on it.

It's the same as our program is here in Va.

Thanks for the info Steve. I only have two returns on flounder and those fish did not move any where

Edited by Fishman

We tag 10 species dude::

Fish targeted for tagging include red drum, black drum, cobia, flounder, speckled trout, black sea bass, tautog, spadefish, sheepshead, and gray triggerfish.

Dang, I always forget the triggerfish!

And I caught one last last time you were on my boat too remember...tagged & released as well !

I have about 90 returns on flounder from Rudee and 30 black sea bass from the high rise area so far this year