20 posts in this topic

Dad went down to the creek today and caught this little guy. Any idea what it is?

4_15_06_074_874.jpg.9bce2a9bd57a37d651e1

4_15_06_070_104.jpg.970154c00bb593e409bc

BAIT!!!!!

j/k looks like q bluegill to me

Cool. This is the same creek where he catches small red drum, rockfish, small blues, small flounder, carp, perch.... It just goes on and on. Awesome little tributary.

Thanks for the info.

Bluegill

Lots of bones and tastes like mud.

Same sores I see on white perch

Very sad

Remind me not to fish in your neck of the woods....:shock::D

'Round here they look pretty good and are sweet tasting.

But I don't bother with them unless they are doormats, don't like messing with all the bones, more than a Croaker.

Blue gills and Pumpkin seed are good if they live in a area of sandy bottom. In the creeks where I live the bottom is mud and muck. Blue gills eat small crustations and worms that live in the mud. This is why they taste like mud.

The last time that I went kayak fishing I actually caught a blue gill on a mepps spinner. I have been fishing the same creek for thirty years and this is the first time a blue gill snapped at the spinner.

The same lake that has the dam by me that is threatning to bust has some nice Bluegills. They'll take a small spinner quick.

I even put some gum on a #12 hook in the shape of a small worm, jigged it and they took it!

yeah pretty tasty little guys if you get enough.

AKA: the great Southern Croppie. And they are great when pan fried! Scale 'em, head 'em (taking care not to cut off the meaty shoulders) dip them in egg and then dredge in either corn meal or flour or a combination of the two, then pan fry the lil' buggars in a cast iron skillet. When they are done, the meat should just fall off the bones (best when picked up and eaten like fried chicken). Another tip to help cut the mud taste from dirty water is to pop and drain the blood sacs along the backbone in the gut cavity. You can also soak the cleaned fish in milk for 30 minutes prior to breading. Goes great with hush puppies!

Dude, I'm starving.... Yep, at this hour of the night I have a Striper chunk in the pan, It's ready!!!!

Dude, I'm starving.... Yep, at this hour of the night I have a Striper chunk in the pan, It's ready!!!!

There is NO wrong time for pan fried Rock...

Actually (and I pulled my fish id book out to make sure) I think its a Redbreasted Sunfish. Most of the sunfish family have the dark piece off thier Gillplate. The red on the belly should be the key indicator. The Bluegill , according to my book, doesn't inhabit this area. The redbreasted sunfish on the other hand does live in this area. (FYI National Audubon Society Field Guide to Fishes)

Sure, there are plenty of blue gill 'round this area.

Talkin' about this area, right?

Yeah I am.....I know I always thought there were.....however, according to what I was reading they aren't......That doesn't mean that there aren't bluegill around. But I'll be willing to bet that is a redbreasted sunfish....I got the book, I'll bring it with me next time I head out to AI and will show you all I'm not smoking crack LOL

ahhh blugill, red breasted.... still tastes good if you have a bunch(and the patience to clean them all):razz:

Around the severn river these fish are called blue gills. I have heard them call brim. Croppy is a totaly different fresh water fish. Blue gills can stand a bit of salt water.