8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm new to the site, but I have logged on everyday since joining this past weekend. Thank you fishin'girl422 for this link!!

Anyways, I just got off the beach at AI. Not much damage done by Hanna. As soon I got a line in the water I had a nice tug. Turned out to be a 26 inch puppy! I've had luck all summer in the Tangier Sound, but I was excited to see him in the surf. The drum hit a cut piece of peeler on a top and bottom rig. I stopped at Buck's on the way out to see if anyone else had caught one. They were as surpised as I was. Anybody seen any puppy drum on the surf???

5852a529c0449_PuppyDrum.jpg.a2c67fe31eef

That's a nice black drum you got, not a puppy (red) drum!

Nice catch and thanks for the report. I may have to find some crab to try next time I get out.

Puppy drum are pourin out down here in Va Beach, bigger ones should be soon.

Nice feesh! Thats a fairly odd catch for this time of year.

I have yet to pull a drum (red or black) out of A.I. and trust me its not from lack of trying!

Nice feesh! Thats a fairly odd catch for this time of year.

I have yet to pull a drum (red or black) out of A.I. and trust me its not from lack of trying!

I caught one last year in october while fishing in the AMSA tourney, there also was another caught.

Nice catch! We get them off the beaches up here in Jersey in May. Usually don't see them around this time of year. Way to go!

I caught one last year in october while fishing in the AMSA tourney, there also was another caught.

I have heard of a few being caught in October once the water starts to cool off, but this early in Sept is a rare catch for a black drum.

This is the first I have caugt on A.I. I usually fish for them at Hatteras or Ocracoke when the water is cooler. Usually around October.

Thanks for the correction Dixie179. Us poor eastern shore boys don't get out much!!

The beautiful thing about fishing.......is that your next cast might be nada...but it might be something everyone else is putting hours and hours on the beach for....but you were at the right place at the right time. Good on ya.