10 posts in this topic

Went to BBNWR this AM, but it was closed, so did the zig and zag thing till I ended up at the oceanfront.

First starting catching some nice bait spot, then nailed a nice fat 26" red who didn't want to show her face, so she got a bit dirty before the photo op:

82da6c8a-1.jpg

After that I proceeded to catch 15 smaller pups with some nice markings. The smaller pups were right in the wash and were nailing crab fishbites as soon as they hit. Caught a few doubles of pups as well which was some nice pullage on a lite rod:

7aef84ea-1.jpg

837a9741-1.jpg

Ended up nailing another 26.5" red:

2871deaf-1.jpg

In between all the pup action, I had a nice yearling on till the last wave took her up and put some slack in the line and I lost her. She sure was pretty slapping that tail as she swam away!

Had a nice run of mullet go through several times, but the bluefish got so thick, I think the reds didn't have a chance.

Must have caught and released 24-36 bluefish in the 1-2# range. It was mayhem for a while and I had to put the rods back up and only fish two.

Let RACN and Andy for cleanup duties with the start of the outgoing tide.

It was fishy to say the least! Saw a nice little black drum caught as well down from me about 75 yards:

1e07f7ac-2.jpg

Those multiple spots are way cool!

Does that happen often down your way?

Or is it because of the nuclear power plant discharge? :D

You sure seemed busy out there today. Wish I coulda joined you.

What was the size of the black drum?

I caught a 24 inch red with 28 spots on it the other night fishign outta lynnhaven in the yak. its pretty cool to see the multiple spot fish

I got one with 8 yesterday - 5 on one side and 3 on the other

Those multiple spots are way cool!

Does that happen often down your way?

Or is it because of the nuclear power plant discharge? :D

Multiple spots and a turquoise blue on small pups is quite common. As they grow the other spots disappear for the most part!

Very nice :icon_thumleft: still want to catch a black drum that's on fish I have not gotten off the beach yet..

I caught one off Deal Island last week with 7 spots. I usually only see multiple spots on the smaller puppy drum (less that 20 inch). I have seen a few larger ones with two or three spots, but always located on the tail.

I've seen drum in the upper 40's with multiple spots. This is the favorite spot configuration of any drum I have caught.This was 2 years ago.Had another cluster on the other side too.

BBdrum102106004-2.jpg

Very nice :icon_thumleft: still want to catch a black drum that's on fish I have not gotten off the beach yet..

Dixie needs to get his butt busy tagging if he wants to beat my record !! I tagged and released 154 blacks last fall !