10 posts in this topic

What is the preferred method of fishing for Big RED from Assateague's Beaches?

I was going to make a Fish Finder ring with a big Gamakatsu Circle hook and thrown on a bunker chunk.

Yep, and if you are lucky enough to hook one, hold on to your hat!

I had one snatch hold of a yaked-out Chark rig.

It was a big slab of Ray on a 20/0 Circle hook on 400# steel with 250 shock to 100# running line. All this on a 15/0 big Penn reel on a very stout 5.5' pole.

The Red hit hard and made the reel scream. It headed east and I was sure it was a big Chark. I felt lots of violent head shaking and runs all directions, including charging the beach. I had to very quickly crank in all the slack only to have him scream out again. I let my lady guest I had with me hang onto him. She lasted about 30 seconds and couldn't hold on.

I finally beached him and didn't know what I had until it was on the sand and in my headlamp.

The beautiful Drum was, if I remember correctly, somewhere about 52", I had a difficult time holding him up for photo ops.

I have fought far bigger Charks, and let me tell you one thing for sure....

When a big Drum wants that hook, you will never, ever forget the vicious ride!!!

I hope you get into a big one, you will be the one hooked for life!! :D

I had one snatch hold of a yaked-out Chark rig.

It was a big slab of Ray on a 20/0 Circle hook on 400# steel with 250 shock to 100# running line. All this on a 15/0 big Penn reel on a very stout 5.5' pole.

The Red hit hard and made the reel scream. It headed east and I was sure it was a big Chark. I felt lots of violent head shaking and runs all directions, including charging the beach. I had to very quickly crank in all the slack only to have him scream out again. I let my lady guest I had with me hang onto him. She lasted about 30 seconds and couldn't hold on.

I finally beached him and didn't know what I had until it was on the sand and in my headlamp.

The beautiful Drum was, if I remember correctly, somewhere about 52", I had a difficult time holding him up for photo ops.

I have fought far bigger Charks, and let me tell you one thing for sure....

When a big Drum wants that hook, you will never, ever forget the vicious ride!!!

I hope you get into a big one, you will be the one hooked for life!! :D

So True Steve, So true, only mine ran for deep water without stopping for what seemed like forever.

So I should ditch my 10'6" TICA I use for stripers from the surf and bring the 12' Ugly Stik with Penn Slammer Reel? :dontknow: I never "chark' fished so I wouldn't know the comparison.

Edited by Even Steven

Nah, use 'em both!

One close in, one far out.

The comparison is that this freight train hit a heavy setup for sharkin'. and was a handful.

The drag was tighter than would be on a setup for Stripers. With the increased drag, he was jerking me toward the water, often. They are a BLAST on a surf pole!!

Awesome, I would love to hook one of these. This will be my 3rd straight year trying. I start fresh each Sept and look for new techniques from you guys, so thanks for the tips.

Guess I will have 3 rods in....2 for drum (one close, one far) and my smaller rod for kingfish, spot, blues, croakers, etc.

Awesome, I would love to hook one of these. This will be my 3rd straight year trying. I start fresh each Sept and look for new techniques from you guys, so thanks for the tips.

Guess I will have 3 rods in....2 for drum (one close, one far) and my smaller rod for kingfish, spot, blues, croakers, etc.

If you are serious about fishing for drum put as many rigs out as you can handle and focus on keeping them in good locations, with fresh bait. Sept surf is generally full of blues so you get picked off quickly.

Start checking in 10 minute rotations, if you pull bait back in go to 15 but if you don't then go to 7 until you start returning bait...then you know how long it is taking the yellow eyed commies to steal your bait.

To combat the blues I'll target them on a small rod and launch a 8-10" live or whole blue out, it lasts much longer and will catch big red.

Might seem like a silly question, but have you guys tried plugging for the big reds ever?

Sometimes when there is a good rip and the tides are strong, a 3-4 ounce wood darter or a diving lipped swimmer produce big stripers up this way. Reds are also aggressive lure predators right? Putting 2 and 2 together, I would hasten to guess these reds could be pulled in using the right plug or lure/teaser combo.

So who has tried and what kind of luck did you have? I might bring the arsenal on the hunt for a renegade striper, but was curious as to the redfish feed/hunt instinct.

Thanks.

Steve :happy10:

So who has tried and what kind of luck did you have? I might bring the arsenal on the hunt for a renegade striper, but was curious as to the redfish feed/hunt instinct.

I don't think lots of people target big red drum with the plugs. I'm sure few are being caught while targetting stripers/blues.

Puppy drum on the other hand love small plugs and jigs. Down south (NC and further south) it's actually very popular fish mirrolures and small jigs for puppy drum. But the concentration of the fish down there is way different from what we have here.