15 posts in this topic

been a while since I fished in the yak. went today and got'em pretty good. wound up catching 1 23" striper, 4 blues, 13 or so flounder (4 keepers), 3 puppy drum and 3 trout. triple slam. could have caught more but bait was extremely hard to get. saw plenty of mullets but they were very smart today and would see the net coming too quick. I probably spent over an hour with a cast net today.

Matt, you need to get someone to video you tossing that net from your kayak. That should be very impressive.

I dont know if I can throw that 10 footer off of there, maybe an 8. maybe you need to come back down here to be my "film crew" for a trip. that sounds like a good idea.

I think that does sound like a good idea. Any good fishing after the first of the year? Maybe I'll get a kayak for Christmas from the Mrs. ? LOL

best in jan-feb would be ocean stripers, maybe BIG blues. fish will be everywhere until the boats get there and scare them down every morning. thatll be fun paddling off the beach to catch 30 lb. stripers and 20 lb. blues. depending on where they are hanging out Ill just drive on the beach till I see some fish working. not much in the sound till a little later when the water starts warming. probably puppies first, then trout, then flounder. never know. if it stays warmer then they just might winter over like I think they did last year. the first flounders I caught last year were crazy fat! some 16 inchers had top fillets thicker than 1 inch! sounds to me like they just sat around all winter picking off whatever they could and getting fat. the first ones even tasted a little funny.

Edited by Pier_man0909

Ok, I'll bite....

Just how far off the beach are ya talking about paddling?

Is a suit needed in case of a dumping?

sometimes right past the breakers. just wherever you see birds working. anywhere between the breakers - 3 miles. I peronally would wait to see them come a little closer, gotta save my energy for reeling in fish.

Wow!

Three miles in my little yak!

I think I better get something a little better than the 12' Old Town that I have, it's way slow!

Hmmm, may be a good excuse to buy an Ocean Kayak 13' Prowler.

it wont always be that far, sometimes less than 300 yds, or just out of casting range. you may need a wetsuit if you get a ocean prowler, they are like a floating bathtub. I have a malibu x-factor and I only get wet from water dripping off my paddle. I am so impressed with the malibu kayaks I am becoming a distributor for them. anyways, I have heard conflicts with wearing a wetsuit. they trap a layer of water between the skin and suit so when you first get wet you will be cold until that layer of water warms up. also once out of the water and it starts evaporating you will probably get cold. someone told me (makes a lot of sense) that a wet suit needs to be wet to work properly. you can wear a drysuit ($$$) that keeps you dry and you are able to layer underneath to stay warm. most people in kayaks just use their waders and wear a dry top over top of them and use a belt to make it water tight. a lof of people say that you will drown if you wear waders but I know a lot of people that use them and have fallen in and are stil around to tell the story. I have not heard of any kayakers drowning from waders, especially if you wear your PFD like you are supposed to. if money is not an issue, get the dry suit. some of them cost as much as $500-600 and you wil have to try on before you buy, especially if you are layering. if you want to get just a dry top to go over your waders, aquaskinz makes some really good products.

Wow!

Three miles in my little yak!

I think I better get something a little better than the 12' Old Town that I have, it's way slow!

Hmmm, may be a good excuse to buy an Ocean Kayak 13' Prowler.

Too bad for Oliver but - it is official - I've had the Ocean Prowler in the Pocomoke at least once a month this year - even participated in a couple of bass tournaments. Still having trouble coming up with a live well solution though. But - the Prowler is certainly a multi functional kayak. I don't know how I would do in the ocean for miles at a time - but six to eight miles in the Pocomoke is an easy paddle. I am wondering when the stripers will head back up into Nassawango creek. I caught a couple of keepers in the Spring way up the creek. Wonder how long it takes them to travel down the coast and up into the Chesapeake tributaries through the winter???? Or do they just head up that way in the spring???

Still having trouble coming up with a live well solution though.

if you got the money shimano has a live bait well, the shimano bristol bay livewell. it was disigned for kayaks. It is around $200, I forget. I have it and it is awesome. I think it holds up to 7 gallons or something and it pumps in fresh water from outside the boat rather than just add air bubbles and recirculate the water. I kept about 50-60 peanut bunker alive for about 4 hours before a storm came and had to get off the water one day. malibu will be releasing a new kayak in the winter-spring which has a built in livewell in between your legs so it is easier to reach. I am not a fan but a lot of people will love it.

shimano_bristol_bay_portable_live_well_i-1.jpg

Anything happening in the sound with the cleaner wx?

Too bad for Oliver but - it is official - I've had the Ocean Prowler in the Pocomoke at least once a month this year - even participated in a couple of bass tournaments. Still having trouble coming up with a live well solution though. But - the Prowler is certainly a multi functional kayak. I don't know how I would do in the ocean for miles at a time - but six to eight miles in the Pocomoke is an easy paddle. I am wondering when the stripers will head back up into Nassawango creek. I caught a couple of keepers in the Spring way up the creek. Wonder how long it takes them to travel down the coast and up into the Chesapeake tributaries through the winter???? Or do they just head up that way in the spring???

Well hello, Stranger! :icon_wink:

not really, no one really even trying. the weather has been pretty crappy. I do want to go out and catch some stripers around the OI bridge.