22 posts in this topic

Head to the shore, bays and rivers folks! The water is at it's warmest so far this year. With averages from the upper 70's in the surf to the mid and upper 80's in the inlying waters of the bays and rivers.

Still all the regular critters to be caught, some are getting bigger and beggin' to be caught! Get out and enjoy.

As always, let us know how the trip went, catch or no catch.

hit AI this eve with a few good friends, bugs were not to bad considering a south west wind most of the eve. As for fish, not much in that category, one spot on my bait rod, just before dark I landed a 42 inch wide butterfly ray, a few skate after dark and that was it. I plan on heading back out tomorrow. All in all I fished about 12 hours today.

That's a big ray. Yeah, water temps seem to be hovering around 72 degrees. I was hoping they would rise a little considering the E wind we've had lately, but oh well. Maybe a drum soon?

well I fished tuesday eve from 4pm till 6am, chilly night, water was a lot warmer than the outside air, caught a ton of croaker when I arrived, and ended up releasing 5 of them. total caught 12. sizes averaged around 10 inches. After dark got the usual suspects doggies, skate and caught one sand tiger close to 6 feet. took a few pics then watched him swim away, caught him on the incoming tide around 3 am. as for tuesday that was about it .

DSC03286_520x347.JPG.d4cc3e40db14e16142c

DSC03296_520x347.JPG.1f63f1fb3c26c158111

just got in from ai again tonight, three day total 39 hours of fishin.

tonight was a little warmer than yesterday. arrived at the afternoon high tide and only caught a few croaker and managed one smaller sandbar 3.5 feet. On the incoming high tide just after 1 am had two sandtigers on within 10 minutes of each other. so pretty slow couple days with a few bursts of excitement. but much better than last week. I cannot wait for the drum. I just want to catch a few more of them large sandbar to get me ready.

DSC03292_520x347.JPG.b515b411e6a109a2c2c

DSC03299_520x347.JPG.1ca224a99c9005e7041

DSC03303_520x347.JPG.9cd59ad995891da432e

Nice catches Dave, bet ya put some good leader on earlier this week, eh? Nice to be catching of some size, hope it continues for at least a couple more weeks.

Nice catches Dave, bet ya put some good leader on earlier this week, eh? Nice to be catching of some size, hope it continues for at least a couple more weeks.

re did all my reels and line, didnt want to put anything to chance, and well it paid off.

Good job, Dave. I'm glad you got some action.

Fished A.I. pretty hard last night from around 5:30 till a little past midnight. Nice east breeze blowing in, water was really warm. No real bug problems. There was a lot of mist coming in off the water, it was almost like it was raining at times. It was absolutely pitch black dark out, it was the first time in a long time I needed my headlamp at night.

We didn't catch any sharks, not even a hit or bite off. There was some spot in the water and a guy who was fishing down from us said he was catching a lot of blues right before high tide. opps!, Amanda (fishngrl422) did catch what was probably an 18" doggie!

Now for the catch of the night, This one almost gives Trowpa a run for his money. We where sitting by the campfire and one of Grossy's rods starts screaming like I have never heard a reel. Well about a minute later we are reeling this thing in and start here it thrashing in the break. So we start shining lights on it and it was a big pelican, the thing was probably 2 1/2 feet high with a 20 inch beak on it. He was caught in a whole mess of stuff and couldn't fly. Grossy's line was actually caught in a stick that was part of the mess and not the pelican itself, so we where able to free it from the line. Unfortunally as we got close to it, the thing freaked out and ran back into the surf never to be seen again. From the look we got it looked like all the junk was caught up and wrapped on an ankle tag that was on the pelican.

Wow - nice attempt guys - but seriously - ANYONE can catch a LIVE seagull. Try catching a DEAD seagull like i did - and then maybe you can run with the big dogs :evil3::happy7:

Hey dave- that a float i see in your pics? What kind of rig you using? and were you casting?

Jim, might want to look into the ankle tag and method of attachment. Sounds like the tag may lead to problems ( as seen) if the current style is continued to be used. I don't know who you would contact, maybe DNR?

Too bad you didn't get to see a number or something...

We need to help these critters out all that we can, nice try though.

Hey dave- that a float i see in your pics? What kind of rig you using? and were you casting?

trowpa - yes I am using a float and casting, I use a rig similar to a drum rig except with wire bite leader, the float is attached to the bite leader to a 12/0 mustad circle demon hook, and on the other end I have two glow beads and my fish finder sinker holder attached to my shock leader.

Jim, might want to look into the ankle tag and method of attachment. Sounds like the tag may lead to problems ( as seen) if the current style is continued to be used. I don't know who you would contact, maybe DNR?

We did call the DNR but they didn't seem to care. If it was light out I may have been able to get a closer look but in the dark I think my headlamp was freaking the bird out. I couldn't get within 5ft of it.

I called the ranger station to see the best way to get the line free of the pelican and had them on the phone and explained that there was debris caught in the tag and that it couldn't fly because of the debris caught in the tag. The ranger, who didn't give his name, said that if it was monday - friday 8 - 5 resource management would have been available to help - but he didn't think he needed to wake someone up. He lead me to believe he was going to call DNR, asked for my phone number and location but no one every showed up.

Finally went sharkin, Saturday night and Monday. Was going to go Sunday, but a wait at the orv, so we just hung out at the beach at the main parking lot of the fed park. Never seen it so crowded Sunday. The beach was as crowded as OC's beach. North parking lot was filled

Saturday pm, got there around 9:30 pm and fished for a couple hours, yaked once out...nothing.

Nice swell rolling in...surfed most of the time but did yak a bait out...nothing as well.

Jim, thanks for the bait.

I was able to inch my way into that bird a little bit at a time, trying to see the numbers on the tag. That stick or whatever it was , was really stuck in that band. And I think I may have provoked the "Charge" put on by this pelican when I tried to get close enough to grab the end of the stick. He was pretty calm up until that point when I guess he thought he was in danger. That beak of theirs looks to have a pretty sharp hook on the end.

Well, it was the loudest any of my reels screamed so far this year when he hit. To bad it wasn't a fish!

The beaks don't hurt. I can't count how many times I had one clamp down on my arms and hands. They don't hold on either. If they clack down on a finger, yeah, that hurts a bit, like smacking your finger on the counter or something.

I used to have to push them away at the cleaning table using my forearm.

The beaks don't hurt. I can't count how many times I had one clamp down on my arms and hands. They don't hold on either. If they clack down on a finger, yeah, that hurts a bit, like smacking your finger on the counter or something.

I used to have to push them away at the cleaning table using my forearm.

Considering what you are saying here, what should I have,or anyone else, done to help this Pelican? Jim was wondering about covering the Pelican's head and trying to hold on to it while I untangled him, but we did not get close enough. He was bigger than the ones I have seen cruising over the breakers, maybe it was because he was so close. It was a bit intimidating on a pitch dark moon-less night.

You can either throw a towel over it's head or gently hold it's beak down with your arm. They don't fight. At least mine haven't, LOL!

for them and gulls I toss a towel over their head and proceed with the cutting.