7 posts in this topic

anyone ever hear of or have any experience with black pearl cast nets? they seem pretty popular in florida. some people say they are just as good or better as calusa nets and cost almost half the price.

maybe not half as much, had some prices wrong because I was comparing two different nets, sorry. considerably less though. they make some in different sizes so it is hard to compare the bigger nets.

black pearl 3/8" mesh 11' radius 1.6 lbs. per foot $209

calusa 3/8" mesh 8' radius 1.5 lbs. per foot $209

the comparison I did is a price comparison and for the same price with a black pearl net you get extra weight (to sink faster and not have as many escapes), 6' of extra diameter, and a supposedly better construction with a better horn (some baits can escape the calusa horn), weights closer together, better monofilament, and 8 extra braille lines so it closes tighter.

Edited by Pier_man0909

wish I could help out on this one, I'm good enough to get my own bait but not good enough to head out without it...if you catch my drift. Got me a 17' classic whaler, I need to learn how to toss off the bow.

I need to learn how to toss off the bow.

....without falling over!:icon_tongue:

the black pearl net arrived the other day and I was pretty impressed upon initial inspection. it came out of the bucket softer than the other nets I have after they have been treated. I soaked it in softener and it got even softer. it is drying now and I will let you know how it thrown but so far it looks excellent. the one I ordered was the 8' radius 5/8 mesh silver series (1.3 lbs. per foot). it does seem a little light though.

well, the net is super soft and limp which is really good. it throws good. opened it up pretty good just messing around making a couple of quick throws in the yard. the only thing is that the handline is thicker than the betts super pros I have. you really notice it when you coil it in your hand as I almost couldnt grip all of it. thats no big problem. if I need to I can just put a new thinner handline on it.

messed around with my nets a little more. the black pearl seems to be the best at opening. I bought another black pearl and cant wait to load it up with mullet.