6 posts in this topic

I got a call while in ocean city that there were a lot of cobias around. I tried to fish but between the flies and fish at home I had to leave. I stopped at oceans east on the way home and got a few things to make some rigs with and some bait. I got a trip set up around 9 for the next day and I got home around 11, made up some rigs and stayed up all night because I had things to do and I was afraid that I wouldnt wake up in the morning. we were going to go to virginia to fish because thats where there have been more fish but I chose to fish here because it was just me fishing and it would cost extra money for gas to go up there and they saw 40 or so on the pier the day before so I knew there were fish here. they have had lock jaw and werent agressive. anyways we went out and only saw 2 and caught 1. the one that swam away just wouldnt eat and was a 60+ and the one I caught was a 37 pounder. that fish just wanted to die.my cast from the left side was like 12 feet off and the fish tuirned around to get it. I let him eat it with the bail open for about 10-15 secs, flipped the bail and pulled some drag for about 10 secs and when he shook his head the hook came out. I got frustrated but saw him turn around to eat it again so I opened the bail and let him eat it for 10-15 secs again and flipped the bail and Fish ON! he ran for about 10 secs shook his head and it popped out again! WTF! I saw him turn on it yet again and opened the bailand let him eat it for about 30-40 seconds and flipped the bail and the fight was on. fought him for about 15-20 minutes and boated him. he was hooked in the back of the throat. our b uddies were ahead of us and they sawa triple and caught 2 of those and the third went and hung aroung another of out friends boatsa and wouldnt eat or leave so he stuck the gaff in the water until water was past his wrist and he yanked up and got a 45-50 pounder free gaffing it. that was awesome. once the clouds covered the sun and we couldnt see we started chumming and had a heck of a slick going, but nothing showed up. here is a pic from earlier this year of a cobia on a manta that my friend took.

323517191-1.jpg

very nice...I'm itching to get down there.....2 weeks from sunday...hopefully we can hook up and catch a couple together.

Cool story Matt. Glad you got one...very nice Cobia.

It sure was bad on the beach while you were here,,,flies were just horrible:blob8::blob8::blob8:.I wonder why they like you so much haha..

Sweet picture!

With my luck I would pitch a bait and the manta would pick it up!:icon_rabbit:

flies were just horrible:blob8::blob8::blob8:.I wonder why they like you so much haha..

they ate me up bad, I had l ike 4 open wounds from them.

Sweet picture!

With my luck I would pitch a bait and the manta would pick it up!:icon_rabbit:

good, snag the bit**, lock the drag down, and you have your own fish magnet to catch your fish off of. just start casting your other baits and game on!