6 posts in this topic

OK guys I need more help from the experts. For big baits and big fish what size hooks for sharks when using circle and J hooks? This is for yaking bait. I know this topic may have been beaten to death but just one more time. Thanks.

Well Max, I am far from an expert. Ill tell what has worked for me. Unless you modify a circle hook, I dont suggest them for targeting specifically, anything toothy. By modify, I mean spread open the gap. J hooks have always gave me better luck hooking up with toothies for everything from bluefish to sharks. For my castable rigs I have had luck with 15/0 opened up circles. Also 9/0 J's. Wether you are kayaking or casting, hook size will be determined by the size of fish you are targeting and the size bait you are rigging. You are also gonna have to consider what your rod and reel is gonna be able to accomodate. What kind of rod and reel are you planning on fishing :?: For the ultimate chance for battle with monsters check out my suggestion in the extreme sharking rig sticky thread. Those hooks could be even larger and it would not be too much. :twisted: That rig requires at the minimum, a 12/0 Penn Senator reel, or equivelant, just to drag it back in to shore. 8) Better yet would be a 14/0, or a 16/0 like the one in Walter Maxwells picture. :mrgreen:

Hope that helps.

Shark fishing is fun, but I'm seriously considering using big circle hooks this year. I gut hooked so many sharks last year and it hurt me every time to cut the leader. It is still in the works....

I agree Sam, circle hooks look much better, maybe 12/0. All the charks I caught in FL last fall I used a circle and every one had it in the lip. Easy to remove. As for a reel, a Penn 9/0 will more than get the job done. It will hold plenty of 60# line to play with. I also used a big (old) Diawa spinning reel on the boat and caught large Nurse charks with no problem.

If you are buying a setup for targeting large species, the minimum I would go with is a Penn 7/0 size, maybe a 114H.

The 115L (9/0) is very sweet and goes for about $170 new.

Thanks guys. I picked up some 16/0 circle hooks at a great price. The gear I plan to use for yaking sharks is 2 60-100# 5'6" rods with a 6/0 penn with 50# Ande line and a 9/0 penn loaded with 65# power pro line and a top shot of 50# Ande line. Looking forward to fishing with you guys. If you have any other advice on gear let me know.

Max, That set up will certainly work for the kinda sharks in the photo albums. I do think you will miss more sharks with "true" circles, but like Sam said, gut hooking is no fun also. :twisted: