Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest mdram

National Saltwater Angler Registry

5 posts in this topic

So basicly in 2011 we all have to pay 15 dollar for our name to be on the list or we can't fish.

Why in the world do they need to charge for the privilege of the anglers name to be on the list? Its also extremly sad that they come right out and say the funds won't be going towards managing fisheries. I guess its kinda Ok if it goes to a fishery somewhere other than MD, but from the sounds of it, its going into the general cofers of uncle sams pocket.

Why don't they just come out and call it what it is, a national tidal fishing license revenue generating tax.

I have no problem paying for "the license" if I knew the money was going to be put to good use and not the congressmans/sentors/judges next raise.

i think the state can get around it by having a saltwater license, which maryland has been avoiding. they didnt want to impact the tourist trade at the beach

well its time

FAQs about the Proposed Rule

What is the National Saltwater Angler Registry?

Starting in 2009, anglers who fish in federal waters (3-200 miles offshore) will have to register annually with NOAA Fisheries. The rule would also require registration by those who may catch anadromous species such as striped bass, salmon and shad that spawn in rivers and streams and spend their adult lives in estuaries and the ocean. The registry will provide a much needed list of all saltwater recreational fishermen -- essentially a phonebook of all recreational fishermen that is updated each year.

Why is the registry important?

Through the registry, managers will be able to gather important information about the fishing habits of recreational anglers. Information from all fishermen -- recreational as well as commercial -- is essential to managing our fisheries. It’s also a way for you and your catch to be counted and support informed decisions that affect your fishing future.

Why is the registry being established?

The U.S. Congress passed a law requiring NOAA Fisheries Service to establish a national registry by January 1, 2009 in order to improve the quality of fishing data.

Will there be any exemptions from the registry requirement?

If states already have a program that gathers the data necessary for the registry (such as a complete saltwater fishing license that accounts for all anglers), NOAA Fisheries may exempt anglers from these states. However, the following states do not have a saltwater fishing license and cannot be exempt at present: Connecticut, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Maine, Rhode Island and Hawaii.

Will there be costs associated with registering?

Not initially. However, an annual fee may be required beginning in 2011.

Will individuals fishing on party or charter boats have to register?

NOAA Fisheries is considering exempting individuals fishing from charter or party boats from the registration requirement. This fishing activity is already accounted for in current fishery surveys of party and charter boat fishing.

What can I do?

NOAA Fisheries is seeking comments on the proposal to establish the angler registry until August 11, 2008. To get more specific information about the program or comment on the proposal go to: Marine Recreational Information Program.

I wonder why MD isn't on that list that can't be exempt. We sure don't have a coastal saltwater license and I know plenty of striped bass are caught off the beachfront and in the inlet.