7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I have been reading here that it is illegal to catch sharks in Horry County SC. This kinda bumms me out as thats where ill be headed!

I will be headed to Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks and I primarily want to target sharks from the surf. So my question is, where is it safe to do this?

Is Pawleys Island in Horry county or is it safe to chunk cut bait and squid on wire leaders and big hooks for sharks there?

If anyone has a good suggestion for a legal place, not more than 20 or so miles from the Myrtle beach area to hook up to some good size sharks, please lend a tip, I am all ears.

I will be hoping for sharks in the 5 to 7 ft range and will be using a 5' 270 lb cable leader setup with a 10/0 circle hook and 500 yards of 50 lb power pro line on a Shimano Baitrunner 6500B and a 12 ft Ocean Master rod. Gonna be set up with a 10ft 80 or 100 lb mono shock leader and I will be yakin the bait out past the last breaker. Most likely gonna be using what ever bait fish I catch on my smaller rigs, like blues etc for bait. I thot I would also get some Squid and try those out as every fish in the ocean likes squid! lol.

So any tips on a good sharkin hole in LEGAL waters where I wont get hauled off to jail for fishing would be great!

Thanks!

TR

Edited by TR2002

Ok so i did some research into the area and it looks like Pawleys Island is in Georgetown County so I should be legally allowed to target sharks from the surf there.

So, all the rest holds still. Anyone know of any good places that i can hike to around there where I can get away from the populace and get out into the open beach and do some fishin in peace?

Thanks!

TR

Pawley's Island is Small....but the sharks are thick. You won't be able to really get away from the other people on the beach.....You'll just have to be careful. Don't worry, once they see you pull in a shark they tend to stay away. Actually what I would suggest is definitely a weekday trip...and try in the afternoon. They'll be less people on the beach. When I was there we were seeing the sharks in the breakers just feet from the beach....good luck.

Ok cool. thanks for the info. Ill be there for about 14 days and i plan to fish at least 8 or so days all day long.

Iv been going over the area on google earth and there doesnt look like there is much beach access that isnt lined with houses in the area around Pawleys.

Is it legal to take 4x4 on open beach in SC?

no...you can't drive out on the beach there. You are correct though about the beach access. I've always fished the south beach of pawley's There's a nice parking lot. The Sharks come in to feed around the inlet from the river. You can also fish for pomps right behind the break with sand fleas. Sheepshead down at the jetty on the north side of the south beach. I went to Seven Seas Seafood market and they were more than happy to give me fish carcasses, heads, tuna skin, bellies and bloodlines as well as let me fill my cooler from their GIANT ice barn. perry's bait and tackle is a little further down 17 towards Murrells inlet. I would recommend using them for all your tackle needs. Great little shop, always has fresh bait and hand tied rigs plus a HUGE amount of knowledge on the area. I never use any shop but them when I'm down there.

awsome info bro thanks a bunch.

I will hit that fish market and bait shop up while im there for sure!

I look forward to fishing that south river inlet. It does look like a great spot to catch em.

Thanks again for the info, and if theres anything else i should know, im all ears!

TR

Hmmm, no need to yak......I was getting runs literally throwing out baits that I would normally yak out......GL...should be a blast, make sure you take pictures...I wanna see :)