10 posts in this topic

I took a little advice from another post, (I think ben23), and kayaked out with my bait about 100yrds and dropped my mullet rig with a mullet on it. I went out about 9am 8/5 and within 30mins I had a hit but lost the fish. I took the bait out again soon enough another hit and I was able to land a 3ft shark (not sure what kind). Just about an half hour later I landed another 3ft shark. It was very exciting to pull that thing in. I've never caught anything that large from the surf before. I think I need some bigger hooks and maybe some more line to take it out even farther to get some bigger sharks (possibly chum the water next time!). However, it was an excellent day with some great fishing. In addition to the two big sharks, we caught some smaller sand sharks, skate, and a couple king fish.

I hope you like the pictures.

IMG_1307.jpg.6a1baa577de69b5408fa56d5567

IMG_1313.jpg.4ab0d83031395b67a60cd172ab3

IMG_1322.jpg.073e8f26d7bccb6d84b9b4a1a7a

IMG_1318.jpg.009b3fc76a5f75a12f4cb8d186a

IMG_1315.jpg.16d98f5e30ca9338bc7a065e537

OMG!!!!

Look at that water!!!

It looks like a smooth lake!

Oh man, you had a fantastic day to paddle out!!!!

It looks like you caught a Smooth Dogfish.

The first one is eating size, mighty tasty too.

Charks are everywhere, as I mentioned in a previous post, we just paddle out huge baits to impress the ladies. Hahahaha!

Keep doing what you are doing, use some heavier line and lots of it. Get some huge hooks and use a whole Bunker or whatever bait you have. Leave enough room on the hook to get the Chark on.

When you get hold of something like a Sandbar or Sand Tiger (Ragged Tooth), you will have a fight you'll not forget....

These puppies get up to 12 foot and over 200 pounds. These are really the normal catch, nothing special needed except timing and luck. Well, 12' isn't near normal, 6' is but the the big boys and girls are out there.

You have let yourself in on an addiction that has no cure, you'll prolly never fresh water fish again....

The only suggestions I have for you are to enjoy the heck out of it, introduce others to it, practice catch & release, and educated others in the treasure we are borrowing from our kids.

Man does that water look like glass!

If it wasn't a doggie it looks like a sharpnose as well!

Nice catches. Beautiful picture of that water!

Yeah, looks like a sharpy to me too. Great eating!

I caught the same type of shark this past weekend, I believe it's a dogfish. Go buy yourself a few drum rigs or if you have a crimper, make a rig with a decent size hook (not huge) and add a float. This way you got steel so the shark can't bite through the leader. Peace

Edited by jdevine26

jklinz, did the sharks have teeth?

The smooth doggies don't really have teeth! More like sandpaper.

If you want to try and catch the big toothy sharks (sand bars,dusky, sand tigers) and whatever else might roam, do a search for shark rigs and start reading. If you are targeting the larger sharks you want more than just a finger mullet for bait, think whole kingfish, croaker and blues! Some scrap fresh tuna from the docks also makes great bait. People are now even using skates and rays they catch as bait on double hook rigs!

Please try and use circle hooks on your rigs, it really helps for good quick releases!

i am almost positive thats a sharpnose,on a dogfish the 2nd dorsal is in front of the anal fin,and it starts behind it on a sharpnose.Plus the 2nd dorsal on a doggy is alot bigger.

jklinz, did the sharks have teeth?

Yes the sharks had little teeth. I would say about 3mm or so.