25 posts in this topic

Well the water is finally warming up. Recent reports of decent Spot and quite a few Sharks of a few different varieties have been had from the surf. Most have been caught close tossing Bunker chunks.

With these daytime temps, it would be a great idea go take a dip in the water! May as well throw a line in too!

Head on out and enjoy, let us know how it went, catch or no catch,

Fished the surf for a few hours tonight with one 6' sandbar and something that was stronger than anything I have ever felt before. It tore my line off so fast and I tightened the drag a little too much and snap.... Honestly, this was the fastest, strongest critter I have ever tangled with. It took a yakked out kingfish with a float. It was insane...

met up with sam around 7pm tues eve. quite a few kings and doggies. Also managed a 4.5 to 5 foot sandbar just before dark. had two other quick runs but they spit the hook before I got to the rod. They are finally here. Sam has the pics.

Dave,

Tossing or yakkin out baits?

What rig and bait/size?

I hear you Sam. Fish that big taking line so fast you think your drag is set too light. Bet when you checked your drag after it was over you could hardly even budge it. Would have loved to have known what was on the other end. Exciting stuff.

I hear you Sam. Fish that big taking line so fast you think your drag is set too light. Bet when you checked your drag after it was over you could hardly even budge it. Would have loved to have known what was on the other end. Exciting stuff.

I still can't sleep at night about a creature I had on my line last summer wondering what was on my line. Dumped my whole 525 almost down to my spool knot with my drag pretty much locked. Bait came back untouched........ :angry5:

Dave,

Tossing or yakkin out baits?

What rig and bait/size?

tossin, using a modified drum rig with a 12/0 circle demon hook and small bite leader with a float on it. had roughly 13 feet of shock leader on the end of all that. I was using bunker chunks and big bunker heads. Also caught a few kings to use as bait but charky was caught on bunker head.

Dave, any head shakes? Is it possible it was a big Ray?

Was it spastic or just running?

couldn't tell like I said they were gone before I could set the hook. I did get to feel one on the line and it felt like a sandbar or dusky, it was runnin north then as soon as it changed directions line went limp. Still finally some action out on the surf. Kinda like last summer, pretty slow most of the summer till end of august then people were gettin upset that the shark were still around until early october. I just hope the drum season lasts a little longer this year. I would love to catch a few more of them beauties this year.

Fished the OC Inlet for a couple hours last night. Not a lot of action,but did manage a couple nice size blues on gotcha plugs. Didn't see anything else caught all night, except one poor dude caught the Ocean Princess as it came within like 10 feet of the rail. He lost his whole rod into the drink...:angry5:

i did see a couple small schools of bait fish frantically breaking the surface, so I know there where more blues around than I was catching. Also the current was almost non-existent, it felt like slack tide the whole time I was there. Didn't really notice any birds working the inlet either, which is unusual for late evening into the night.

Fished AI today with Mighty Quinn for about an hour or so, until this Waterspout ran us off. No luck with the fish, but the storm was fun to watch.

Waterspout.jpg.ca04a3dd750a2d77a76604530

Looking at the radar, it may not be fun to be on Assateague this evening. Hefty storms burbling up around Fredericksburg, VA. The ones from this area usually come across and hit the island.

Please check the weather/radar before heading out.

Nice pic of the funnel cloud.

We were watching the radar on my phone, and we kept thinking that it was going to pass, but it kept growing, and when we finally got a small lull in the storm, we got out of our vehicles and packed up and left. The beach really isn't the place to be when there are storms around.

Fished AI today with Mighty Quinn for about an hour or so, until this Waterspout ran us off. No luck with the fish, but the storm was fun to watch.

I didn't notice it at the time but was that another one trying to spin off on the right?

It's deceiving. It looks like the cloud may be more horizontal than vertical, just a wisp from a disassociated wind shear prolly. If you look about 1.5" to the left of it, you'll see another similar "wisp". There doesn't appear to be any mass circulation or convolution related to it.

If I see one of the NOAA dudes pop in behind me, I'll show it to him.

Fished the upper tangier sound Saturday afternoon and evening, slow pickings, only 2 croaker and one small bluefish. Headed back to the marina and enjoyed a few cold drafts and watched the Redskins game on the big screen.

I was out Friday night and Saturday night. Started fishing around 11.00 each night and fished till 4:30 or so at the walkover. We had good catches the weekend before. I hooked up with a nasty sandtiger Friday night that was the largest I have encountered. The winds were west and little wave action made it a chore to beach by myself. Ended up snapping the shock leader trying to land it. While I didn't land it I did get a good look at it as I had my shock leader on the reel. Probably over 7'. Saturday night I had another one on that came unhooked. Just didn't get a good hookset I believe.

A few short runs and drops too. Not as much action as I wanted....skeeters were very bad Friday and not too bad on Saturday.

I talked to a ranger about the closure. He said that probably the end of this week the orv should be opened back up.

Any bait fish in the surf to be had?

Caught on what?

Steve,

I had all my rods out for shark. Bunker was the bait. The two I hooked up on were on a head and a chunk. Crabs are hardly around! At least where I am fishing. The sharks are pretty close in. I don't think I have had a hit on my far out rod in the past two weekends!

Skeeters are terrible....

Skeeters???

Buy some tiki torches and build a perimeter around yourself. It works.

Steve,

The sharks are pretty close in. I don't think I have had a hit on my far out rod in the past two weekends!

There's hope for me yet! :binkybaby:

Very cool picture!