6 posts in this topic

Well I had 4 fishing buddies down this weekend, freshwater guys. I think I spoiled them.....:icon_pidu::icon_pidu::icon_pidu:

I drove down with one friend and had three more comming from PA. So my one buddy and I get to Berlin about 5:00 and get something to eat and head out to the sand. Looks like we will have about 2 or at most 3 hours to fish because we gotta be back in Berlin to let the other three in the house. So we set up at the walkover (no yak tonight) and I start slinging bait. Once it got dark we had a run! My job was as guide so I wasn't reeling in any sharks. Todd grabs the rod and hooks up. Zzzzzzzz goes the rod! Turns out to be a nice sandbar which was beached. By the time we made the release we had to leave. Should have measured it but figure to be a bit better than 5'.

I was really worried that I couldn't get these guys on fish so I was relieved to get one.

Back at it in the morning and latch onto a smallish shark but don't know what kind....will add some pics later.

Then another rod goes off and it's another nice sandbar on the beach!

I was yakking this morning and true to form nothing on the yak. Fish were in close. All along the beach there were big schools of small 2" baitfish. We fished till about 11:00am and I didn't think these guys would make it thru the day till night so we left. Just as well as there were many swimmers and we were taking up a lot of space at the walkover.

I yakked out one bait and saw dolphins.....kept going trying to get into the school after dropping the bait but they sounded. Got within 20 yards or so of them. Pretty cool stuff!

Flies and skeeters were NASTY!!!!!!

So we come back just about dark for another go. We were waiting on a storm. Got chewed up good walking out till the fire started. If you left the safety of the fire it took seconds for the clouds of skeeters to chew you up.

No yak tonight. Lots of lightning around. Some directly west, some south, and some over the ocean. I didn't want to chance it and anyway the fish were in close. The schools of baitfish were crazy! Never seen it like that before.

Rods started singing!

A couple more sandbars, a big sandtiger, and a small spinner. While the spinner was being fought my end rod took off.

Doubleheader!

This one was blazing out to sea. Close to being spooled. Another nice sandbar!!!!!!! This one was pretty heavy.

Lighting was now close and nasty looking so we left them hitting!

We didn't really fish that much and beached 8 sharks, mostly sandbars, one spinner and one sandtiger. I had to calm these guys down about this surf fishing thing because now they are hooked. I told them you fish alot of hours to get this stuff but I don't think they believed me. A great short trip!!!

I will be back this weekend!

AssateagueIsland2008013-1.jpg

AssateagueIsland2008026-1.jpg

AssateagueIsland2008027-1.jpg

momspics062-1.jpg

Here are a few of the pics......

Dusky

Sand Tiger

Sandbar

Dusky ?

Nice catchin

Edited by Critter Gitter

Dusky

Sand Tiger

Sandbar

Dusky ?

Nice catchin

I agree with the first three, but if I had to guess that 4th one is a sand bar as well.

Great catches, glad to hear of them finally being caught!

Very, very good Master Guide Phil!

What was the bait, rigs and distance?

Any Spot in the water?

Thanks guys!

Most of the sharks hit big bunker chunks. Out of 10 or 12 runs only two were on big heads/bodies. They were in fairly close. We yakked out some baits Saturday morning and only one small run before it was dropped. I think we were out past them with the yak this weekend.

Not sure about the spot Steve. Saw other people fishing smaller rigs and don't believe they caught any....we didn't have anything in the water except shark baits.

Great job, looks like a lot of fun.

I headed out Saturday AM. Just after sunrise I got a dogfish and kingfish, then a huge black cloud came over. For some reason the fishing stopped dead for a couple hours. The black cloud passed and the rest of the day was beautiful. I caught some more dogfish and kingfish. I did manage a some flounder. I waded out with my ultralight tackle and a 1 oz white jig, and the flatties only seemed to hit when the sun was real bright. A lot of fun.

I also became a marksman at killing horseflies. I counted over 2 dozen kills before eventually stopped counting. Even got myself a double kill with a swat of my right hand. If only I could catch fish so efficiently.