8 posts in this topic

Sunday 8-3-08 Report

Started at NAVSTA Norfolk this morning and cast neetted a ton of peanut bunker and a few finger mullet.

Headed over to a different spot, due to the wind hitting the pier was stiff this morning. Dropped a peanut down and had a 15" flounder on in no time.

Dropped another peanut down and WHAMMMO! Nice fish right up close, taking some drag, into the pilings....crap...turn the fish out of the pilings, see it's a nice keeper flounder and...........head shake, gone!:angryfire: DOH!

Drop a finger mullet in near the same spot 45 min later and WHAMMMO again! Set the hook and bring the fish to the surface and another keeper flounder. Start to bring himm over the rail...head shake....gone! :angryfire: DOH! DOH!

Don't know if he was the same fish or not, but that was 2 if not 2 keeper flounder today I lost. Guess it's time to invest in a small extendable net.

After the wind settled down the was a ton of nice finger mullet in the water.

Ended the morning shift with five flounder up to about 16", 1 taylor blue kept for bait, cast netted two small puppy drum, and cast netted a nice 16-18" cobb mullet which I kept for bait. Flounder were tagged and released and pups were released as I didn't bring my tagging gun with me where I was cast netting at.

Time for some Lunch, then Bucket and I should be heading to Dam Neck for a PM fishing session.

Will report back later tonight!

Get to Dam Neck at dead low with Bucket and as we are pulling the pier cart over the hill, we stop and walk up the dune to take a look at the beach.

Initially we are shocked by the changes we see in the beach, till we see the top of the water just absolutley boiling with a massive blue blitz. Fish are going crazy, bait and fish flying out of the water, so off we head as fast as we can.

Get to the water, get our metal rods out and it's over as asson as we get there.

Set up camp at a nice looking hole and we wade througha 30 yard trough that gets chest deep then we are in ankle deep water again. We must have been 75 yard out and then casted out into the clearest water filled with bait I have seen in some time at the oceanfront.

Throughout the afternoon the blue blitz's continued, but they were fast and furious and we never could get on top of them. Man were they furious!

I had one decent run, set the hook and fought the fish for a minute till my shock gave way. Should have checked it after the first few throws, lesson learned.

Bucket scores two flounder, one on my homemade stingsilver and one on cut bait. Blues pecked away at the other bait we tossed out, but nada on the heavers.

As we were leaving our hole filled in so much, I couldn't walk through it anymore, I would have had to swim through it. Bait was still thick and spanish were jumping just out of casting range.

Beautiful afternoon, got to look at the beach in a better light, found some holes for the future and Bucket managed a few fish.

Don't doubt it will turn on tonight as everything was lining up.

Out till later in the week.................

Sorry Steve I rolled up on a pretty nasty accident on Salem Road as I was heading down there....by the time I got outta there I decided I had enough excitement...

Dixie,

I hit damneck last night around 730pm and there was bluefish everywhere and big spanish jumping all over the place. Thru my "homemade" stingsilver out there and hooked small blues almost every cast, managed a 20in spanish early on, I just couldnt keep the bluefish off my lure no matter how fast I retrieved with my C4. They were stacked up right in the wash hitting my feet and everything, Im sure there would have been some sharks around but I didnt bring my big stuff. Probably caught 40 bluefish in 2 hours. Pretty good time....tight lines......geo

Geo,

Figures!

We walked off right about 7pm! Man those blues must have been fun, cause they were thick and in a frenzy when we saw them.

We couldn't get to the spanish, but I figured they may come in as well at some point. They were skying when we left.

We gotta get up at some point and wet a line!

Dixie,

Weve probably been on the beach together and didnt even known it im sure a few times. Have you fished the south end any this year?? I havent myself but thinking about checking that out, think the fishing is better down there. I read somewhere you said youre thinking about taking the kayak plunge, Im thinking about getting one next year myself, never fished out of one but have yaked baits quite a few times, it is petty cool in a yak way out there. Im going to vermont next weekend on detatchment im hoping to get into some yearlings on damneck when i get back..well hook up one of these days....tight lines geo

Im thinking Red Drum in Sandbridge this year....with a little help from a little blue kayak to get the bait out there