6 posts in this topic

I just recently started throwing gotchas on a regular basis with all the blues around. I'm having a lot of problems with the trailer hook wrapping around my leader. I tie my knot directly to the plug. Is this just what normally happens, or is there a way to tie it to the leader without this happening, or at least happening less frequently?

I noticed this problem a lot myself.

I found out it happens when I get slack in my line on a cast. Try casting a bit harder or use a different release point in your cast so the plug doesn't float in the air.

Switching from braid to mono seemed to help a bit but didn't totally resolve the problem.

D,

Gotcha's can be frustrating at times and the problem you talk about happens to me every so often, just about every time I go out. Does'nt happen as much from the pier for me as it does the surf.

Just one of those things! Nothing like two sets of treble hooks flying in some wind!

It always seems to happen to me when the fish are breaking and you can usually tell when your plug is swimming right or wrong!

they make Gotcha plugs with a J hook on the tail instead of treble ya know........I have several in the tackle shop

I personally solved this problem several years ago by performing minor surgery on mine........

GotchaB-1.jpg

GotchaA-1.jpg

RACN got it. Either modify your existing lures or buy the ones with a single rear hook. Also, make sure you aren't working the lure too hard when retrieving. It can cause you to hang your line also.

I don't have that problem - much - but I had a Russian friend that did. What he did to alleviate the problem was to put a short length of wire connected to the gotcha, then connected the wire directly to the leader/line.